Re: FOOTBALL CORNER

Well, we have done it. The greatest of great escapes in football history. Since my post about us being fucked when we were bottom of the table and 7 points from safety, we have:

Drawn 2-2 with Man City who will win the league (and were winning 2-1 until the 88th minute and a goalkeepers mistake)
Beaten Chelsea 2-1 (The first team to beat Mourinho at Stamford Bridge in 78 matches he has managed there)
Beaten Cardiff 4-0
Beaten Manchester United at Old Trafford for the first time since 1968.
Beaten West Brom 2-0 to make us mathematically safe.

Miracles happen, and God I love Sunderland AFC.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

I hate sunderland. bah.

I consider myself a pretty smart fellow but soccer still confuses the hell out of me. Even after that thread I made.

Are you guys excited about the world cup this summer or is the whole thing overrated?

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

gnat wrote:

I consider myself a pretty smart fellow but soccer still confuses the hell out of me. Even after that thread I made.

Are you guys excited about the world cup this summer or is the whole thing overrated?

I'm excited. Got tickets for two games in my town

gnat wrote:

Can't wait for the world cup. Can't really follow the sport as much as I'd like to but watch every single game when there's world cup or euro cup.

I guess the confusion is understandable when trying to comprehend new sport. I can imagine the mindfuck if I tried to get into american football for example. You got to be brought up to something to really understand the name of the game.

@gnat
What's good about World Cup is it comes every 4 years and the sport, the players, and the coaches, can all change, that makes it interesting and exciting. Personally I can't wait and I don't think its overrated like [the Olympics summer games].
@Phoenix
Sunderland had a good run at the end and I tell you what, the top 3 spots of the table and how it kept changing every weekend for the past month or so, was some good football to watch.

Congrats to Man City and their fans. Chelsea will get you next year. HA HA

PunBB bbcode test

Hope everyone's World cup summer went alright. Just 3 or so weeks til football's back!!!!

PunBB bbcode test

Chelsea_Bound wrote:

Hope everyone's World cup summer went alright. Just 3 or so weeks til football's back!!!!

Anyone in at Chelsea bar Costa?

I'm just waiting for Borini to do the sensible thing and come home.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

So with the MLS season starting up, I thought I'd ask: whats up with all the MLS bashing? I understand there are some structural differences between it and other leagues but most of the hate just seems to stem from the fact that its american.

Personally, I've never watched it, but I have nothing against it. I have always watched the Premier League and European Leagues since the early 90's.

PunBB bbcode test

36 (edited by Rioux 2015-03-09 21:52:24)

gnat wrote:

So with the MLS season starting up, I thought I'd ask: whats up with all the MLS bashing? I understand there are some structural differences between it and other leagues but most of the hate just seems to stem from the fact that its american.

Some people think americans are pushing too hard to build a good and strong league. And that the clubs don't have a real history behind them (like in europe and south america).

In my opinion it's great that US has now a strong football league. Just need to make small changes, like introducing relegation and ban the whole conference thing.

Rioux wrote:
gnat wrote:

Some people think americans are pushing too hard to build a good and strong league. And that the clubs don't have a real history behind them (like in europe and south america).

In my opinion it's great that US has now a strong football league. Just need to make small changes, like introducing relegation and ban the whole conference thing.

I notice Americans are becoming fans of other country's leagues more and more each year.

PunBB bbcode test

38 (edited by ℊnat 2015-03-10 00:26:18)

I watched the premiere league before anything else...i guess that is normal. I would think europeans would take it as a compliment that we want to be a part of the sport they created. Ive heard people say mls is where good soccer players go to die. Other complaints are as petty as not liking the team names. I mean, ive been a basketball fan since birth but i dont go around demeaning every other league thats not the nba or ncaa.

Im still trying to fully understand the game. I watched the arsenal manchester united match earlier. I think its a series of small revelations...like realizing that its not slow, its methodical. Just because theres not continual scoring going doesnt mean theres no "points" being made...as in, momentum and the other things that lead up to a goal. I think thats one thing americans arent as accustomed to.

Edit: sorry, accidentally hit the post button and had to go back and add stuff...

gnat wrote:

I watched the premiere league before anything else...i guess that is normal. I would think europeans would take it as a compliment that we want to be a part of the sport they created. Ive heard people say mls is where good soccer players go to die. Other complaints are as petty as not liking the team names. I mean, ive been a basketball fan since birth but i dont go around demeaning every other

That's pretty silly. A lot of those big names have given the league a much needed reputation boost and attracted a lot of investment. Who had actually heard of LA Galaxy before Keane and Beckham went there? Beckham was always at AC Milan when the league stopped as well.

MLS....Well. I won't be watching much of it, but I rarely watch any football that doesn't involve Sunderland anyway. It's a rapidly growing league, and that's reflected in how much progress the USA International team has made in the last 15 years or so, but, for me, the transfer system needs a look at, and having a division two and promotion and relegation would not only make it more competetive, but more interesting too.

Another season of bloody misery for Sunderland. Still, we got our fifth consecutive victory over Newcastle at the start of the month. The scorer of the winning goal got a bit emotional over it <-

I can't complain this about this season.

PunBB bbcode test

Chelsea_Bound wrote:

I can't complain this about this season.

I don't suppose you could. A Champions league to chuck on the pile would have been nice.

Oh, I was against this at first, but having seen it I've been laughing all morning.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/the-toe-po … ague-game?

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/media/plane3.2425/full?d=1429457900

We (Norwich) are so fucking close to getting promoted! but It looks like a play off scrap now. Hopefully we get the scum ( ipswich) in the play off final, because that would be the best game ever! Beating the scum at wembley??? fucking yes!!

llkw wrote:

We (Norwich) are so fucking close to getting promoted! but It looks like a play off scrap now. Hopefully we get the scum ( ipswich) in the play off final, because that would be the best game ever! Beating the scum at wembley??? fucking yes!!

I would hate, and I mean really really hate the day we played those black and white bastards at Wembley if we ever did.

I mean, if you won, it would be the most jubilant thing ever, but if you lost.......

Phoenix wrote:
llkw wrote:

I would hate, and I mean really really hate the day we played those black and white bastards at Wembley if we ever did.

I mean, if you won, it would be the most jubilant thing ever, but if you lost.......

Hey Phoenix, did you see the last match of the season? Our teams our playing. Should be a fun game to end the season for both teams!

PunBB bbcode test

Chelsea_Bound wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
llkw wrote:

Hey Phoenix, did you see the last match of the season? Our teams our playing. Should be a fun game to end the season for both teams!

Yes! I'm hoping you'll have nothing to play for, not care and we can steal a win!

Well that wraps up another season. Good show for a lot of teams. Can't wait til August!!!! Cheers!!!!

PunBB bbcode test

So what exactly happened today in the premiere league? Ive not been around a tv.

50 (edited by Chelsea_Bound 2015-05-24 18:59:49)

gnat wrote:

So what exactly happened today in the premiere league? Ive not been around a tv.

Last games of the season.

Arsenal 4-1 West Brom   
Aston Villa 0-1 Burnley
Chelsea 3-1 Sunderland   
Crystal Palace 1-0 Swansea
Everton 0-1 Tottenham
Hull 0-0 Man Utd   
Leicester 5-1 QPR
Man City 2-0 Southamptown
Newcastle 2-0 West Ham   
Stoke 6-1 Liverpool

PunBB bbcode test