Re: Ratio whores

I would have been using Utorrent back then, I just switched to Vuze a couple months ago though since the newer Utorrent versions are pretty scummy.

Re: Ratio whores

Figured this would be the place to bitch about seeding, Granted I never up anything but still i'll seed something for months if not years, I've noticed that as of late people have to keep asking for reseeds for torrents that were put up like two days before! I hate to sound like one of those douches who acts important by saying "Well I use the boards so i'm better than those who don't" But when it has a downloaded number of twenty eight and no seeders from people who havn't even posted more than there account name it's just called leeching! It's unfair to the people that post the torrents to have to keep re-upping them because people remove them after downloading! For the fun of fuck, There still on your computer why remove them from your damn torrent client!?!

"If there's one thing i've learned, It's that life's just one series of curshing defeats after another until you just wished flanders was dead" -Homer simpson

Re: Ratio whores

u.s.c.b. wrote:

Figured this would be the place to bitch about seeding, Granted I never up anything but still i'll seed something for months if not years, I've noticed that as of late people have to keep asking for reseeds for torrents that were put up like two days before! I hate to sound like one of those douches who acts important by saying "Well I use the boards so i'm better than those who don't" But when it has a downloaded number of twenty eight and no seeders from people who havn't even posted more than there account name it's just called leeching! It's unfair to the people that post the torrents to have to keep re-upping them because people remove them after downloading! For the fun of fuck, There still on your computer why remove them from your damn torrent client!?!

Agreed, I seed as long as possible.  It gets frustrating when you see so many completed downloads but no seeds.  I wish there was something we could do to correct this.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Re: Ratio whores

u.s.c.b. wrote:

Figured this would be the place to bitch about seeding, Granted I never up anything but still i'll seed something for months if not years, I've noticed that as of late people have to keep asking for reseeds for torrents that were put up like two days before! I hate to sound like one of those douches who acts important by saying "Well I use the boards so i'm better than those who don't" But when it has a downloaded number of twenty eight and no seeders from people who havn't even posted more than there account name it's just called leeching! It's unfair to the people that post the torrents to have to keep re-upping them because people remove them after downloading! For the fun of fuck, There still on your computer why remove them from your damn torrent client!?!

i remove it from my torrent after a few weeks, months as i run out of space on my downloads folder

BUT

i always keep them as they are, move them to their new home and can always reseed again if asked, or i notice one in need

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Ratio whores

Ah hell mel, I hope ya don't think i'm bitchin about you. It's really due to the fact that some aren't even keeping them seeding right after downloading! For that matter seems a lot of e'm won't even use the "Thanks" Option at all (It's the least they could do) hell, Most of them should now that being part of a community site means keeping a torrent going longer than a day and a half and not making me feel guilty about asking poor mick to keep re-seeding his psycobilly torrents smile

"If there's one thing i've learned, It's that life's just one series of curshing defeats after another until you just wished flanders was dead" -Homer simpson

Re: Ratio whores

u.s.c.b. wrote:

Ah hell mel, I hope ya don't think i'm bitchin about you. It's really due to the fact that some aren't even keeping them seeding right after downloading! For that matter seems a lot of e'm won't even use the "Thanks" Option at all (It's the least they could do) hell, Most of them should now that being part of a community site means keeping a torrent going longer than a day and a half and not making me feel guilty about asking poor mick to keep re-seeding his psycobilly torrents smile

nah smile just making sure you all know if ive grabbed someat its reseedable smile

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Ratio whores

Sad thing is, the people you are complaining about sure aren't reading this thread. They just hit and run the torrent section

I dont pay by the gigabyte for my internet, I pay by the month, so I dont really care who grabs my stuff or for what reason- end of the day the scene is being carried on.
For those that do pay by the GB or have to use Internet cafe's, I understand, I do. But rules are rules.

Most people who dont know much if anything, who grab things and think they are seeding, dont realize that unless they leave their PC ON and connected to the internet all the time, they cant seed. Ive honestly had some younger people think their PC didnt need to be on, like its all done in the cloud or something.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Ratio whores

I'll agree it is a fuckin pain in the ass to download with a phone (I about had a mini stroke trying to get the new bob wayne through a series of rar file share sites) But i'd say at least 80% of e'm know what there doin, You know, type band name you're looking for into a search engine, Have this site show up in results, Start account and then figure "fuck it try out a million other bands" and if you don't like it just delete it and say fuck everybody else. I can't blame anybody for checking out new shit that's what underground music's all about but man, even if I've hated something on here I've at least gave it a month or so. (I say every new member who signs up has to fly to the u.k. and take a "seeding oath" in front of howling)

"If there's one thing i've learned, It's that life's just one series of curshing defeats after another until you just wished flanders was dead" -Homer simpson

Re: Ratio whores

I'm already in the UK and Fuck me that sounds scary lol

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Ratio whores

Haha yeeeeeeah not sure i'm the best model for ratios, i suffered one too many crashes on bittorent and vuze on my phone. Finally found a decent client in flud but i'm stuck with around 2 hours a week seeding when i go over to me ma's and can connect to her wifi. Suffice to say my ratio has suffered since i started breeding, only thing i could do is leave phone on charge at me ma's for a week or two but not really feasible as its only way any fecker can get a hold of me.
Anyway to the out and out pisstakers i set out a while ago to name and shame the guys in pink and yeah am well aware there is a whole lot more of them that i havent put in the leeching group and really should get around too as leeches can't post in requests the problem is the real pisstakers dont give a shit about that. The only thing i could really do is ban the whole lot of em, which is a road i personaly don't want to go down seen what happens when sites get strict with the rules and i don't want to be that guy. My hands on this board are somewhat tied. Imo the ideal solution would be the abilty to lock leeches out of any board containing download links untill they showed they were seeding and at least attempting to rectify the problem, problem being this dosent let me see who has downloaded what and also who is seeding what nor the amount they have seeded unlike the old board so yeah alli can pretty much do is wave my dick at them in a threatening manner whilst making hnnngggh noises.

Re: Ratio whores

I have barred all leeches from accesing the tracker in the hope that those who generally don't understand torrenting will take the time to shoot an admin a message and ask questions. The genuine assholes will hopefully slowly be weeded out. This is where you guys all come in though i sporadicly go through users to find leeches but dont always have the time it takes to find them so to anyone who wants things to change and be fairer shoot an admin a message whenever you see a leech who you think is taking the piss.

Re: Ratio whores

Howling wrote:

I have barred all leeches from accesing the tracker in the hope that those who generally don't understand torrenting will take the time to shoot an admin a message and ask questions.

thats explains a pm i have just had,,,nice move , i have already blocked a few leeches via ip on my seedbox a few days ago

Re: Ratio whores

Yeah man sorry my bad should have asked everyone else first but i was talking to a complete imbecile leech earlier and i just thought i had to do something there and then. Hopefully my idea is those that pm and we consider genuine can be quickly moved into a seperate group thus not punishing the the torrenting newbies the same as the assholes. Let me know lizard and ick what ya think. Oh and pm the name of user who messaged ya mate see if it matches my imbecile lol?

Re: Ratio whores

Howling wrote:

Yeah man sorry my bad should have asked everyone else first

no sorry need mate .if i had my way i'd  have kicked the leechers out earlier.
pm sent

Re: Ratio whores

It's always a hard one aint it, a certain number of leeches are always expected and in some ways needed for a healthy forum to thrive. Without an influx of them a site soon stagnates but when they vastly outweigh those that contribute either in forums or on tracker i guess it's time we earned our grossly overstuffed paypacket we draw every month lol.

41 (edited by ANTISOCIAL 2015-11-07 05:46:40)

Re: Ratio whores

Check out Ourasi.  They need a reminder.  Their ratio is around 1:8 or 0.125
And they are asking for a seed....

WEST HAM til I Die!!

42 (edited by oblivionbunny 2015-11-07 17:09:07)

Re: Ratio whores

martin.presseau  in FLAC asking for a seed of DK - 2.8m up, 11g down .025 ratio

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

Re: Ratio whores

especially in FLAC, people are uploading things that are almost impossible to find, the least a user can do is seed the thing

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Ratio whores

Ryan.Moore  -  28 MEGAbytes up...  9.6 GIGAbytes down...   That's several dozen albums downloaded and not even one uploaded...  He's making requests and asking for seeds.

skatenig2020  -  615mb up, 29gb down.   Making requests

My internet is awful and I'm sharing it.  If you're waiting on me to seed something, be patient; I'll do my best.

"I will never bow down to another man even when everyone's saying I've sinned."  - Toh Kay

Re: Ratio whores

i recently had an PM from a newbie with 77g down and 4g up asking for a reseed of someone elses thread. thats a rather substantial leech margin to be asking for such things dont you think?

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

46 (edited by paulmccu 2016-06-04 16:11:09)

Re: Ratio whores

I don't necessarily want to see a rule on minimum ratios because I've found that it's harder for users, like myself, to maintain ratio. It's not because I don't seed on other sites. This is tracker a (punkoiska) : a torrent has two seeders, one with with an uploading capacity of 65 kbs (DSL) and the other with a seedbox with say 10x to 15x that capacity. By the time the Dsl user uploads on a smaller file, the third download might be close to complete (I've actually watched this happen). Tracker B: has a min. ratio of .5. the same two users are on this tracker, but in this case there are three to four seeders on a torrent (more seeders because there is incentive to seed-or at least penalties for not seeding). uploads are fast, but the DSL user is basically trying to compete against two or three seedboxes. The worst case scenario is that when one seedbox user pulls the seed, it's be replaced by a new seedbox. There's room to seed still, but user A is at a massive disadvantage and will probably have to for several months to get .5 ratio (I know this for sure).

A user who seeds suddenly looks like an ass.

The no ratio rule makes it easier to identify real leeches because users don't have the same problems they would on other trackers (or at least that's what my abstract model suggests- if it seems unscientific, just remember there's whole branches of economics based on far more abstract models, abstracted rational actors, and a whole bunch of other shit).

That advantage is lost when you put min. ratio rules in effect.

How do we seize on that advantage? I know that this webpage is pretty basic so there's only so much that we can do, but I think it can handle a closed forum. that's all we need

the problem is that there's this unspoken rule that leechers don't get responses on request forums and things like that. It's so unspoken that leechers don't know why they are ignored, so they keep posting and requesting. Sometimes i get mad and call people out on it. It's pointless really, but I find it irritating--not that people take without giving back, but that they feel fucking entitled to ask for shit after they do it.


What I want to suggest is this: close the request forum. It doesn't even have to be a formal "members only" thing. If the technology can't handle this idea then post a rule and then delete requests from users who don't meet the min. required ratio (whatever that might be). Send them the user a message:

Thanks for participating in our online community. This particular thread is closed to users whose ratio is under X music, but please feel free to use our other threads to can discover music, meet other punk enthusiasts, enter in political or cultural debate, or just mess around.

Some thing like that. basically it needs to say that you're welcome. We want you here. If you don't want to participate in this online community, you don't have to and we're not particularly worried about it either way. However, those who choose not to participate or give back are not free to make requests.

What do you all think?

Re: Ratio whores

All I say is that if anyone seeds nobody gets anything.
You Know were you can get a lot but a lot of shit records is in the Russian sites u can get even old stuff or old torrents why? There's always somebody seeds...(my experience)
as for the ratio whores is not my shit judging and i don't like to do it but Doing that is shitty attitude

thanks for sharing....

Re: Ratio whores

paulmccu wrote:

I don't necessarily want to see a rule on minimum ratios because I've found that it's harder for users, like myself, to maintain ratio. It's not because I don't seed on other sites. This is tracker a (punkoiska) : a torrent has two seeders, one with with an uploading capacity of 65 kbs (DSL) and the other with a seedbox with say 10x to 15x that capacity. By the time the Dsl user uploads on a smaller file, the third download might be close to complete (I've actually watched this happen). Tracker B: has a min. ratio of .5. the same two users are on this tracker, but in this case there are three to four seeders on a torrent (more seeders because there is incentive to seed-or at least penalties for not seeding). uploads are fast, but the DSL user is basically trying to compete against two or three seedboxes. The worst case scenario is that when one seedbox user pulls the seed, it's be replaced by a new seedbox. There's room to seed still, but user A is at a massive disadvantage and will probably have to for several months to get .5 ratio (I know this for sure).

I've taken to capping any torrent with 1 other seed down to 65 kbps and any with 0 seeds to 256 kbps to try and not dick over other members ratios. With the exception of the GG Allin mega-torrent (6.8 gig) that gets full bandwidth. I'm trying to find a balance between being a steady seed for anything I've gotten from here and not harming other users with limited bandwidth.

It would be nice if a tracker could prioritize seeds based off of ratios but I know that's probably not how things work. Things like seed bonus points given based on seed time, users gifting users data, bounties for requests ... could help people maintain ratios but it sounds like no changes will happen until the next version of POS.

Re: Ratio whores

tacothecheese wrote:
paulmccu wrote:

I don't necessarily want to see a rule on minimum ratios because I've found that it's harder for users, like myself, to maintain ratio. It's not because I don't seed on other sites. This is tracker a (punkoiska) : a torrent has two seeders, one with with an uploading capacity of 65 kbs (DSL) and the other with a seedbox with say 10x to 15x that capacity. By the time the Dsl user uploads on a smaller file, the third download might be close to complete (I've actually watched this happen). Tracker B: has a min. ratio of .5. the same two users are on this tracker, but in this case there are three to four seeders on a torrent (more seeders because there is incentive to seed-or at least penalties for not seeding). uploads are fast, but the DSL user is basically trying to compete against two or three seedboxes. The worst case scenario is that when one seedbox user pulls the seed, it's be replaced by a new seedbox. There's room to seed still, but user A is at a massive disadvantage and will probably have to for several months to get .5 ratio (I know this for sure).

I've taken to capping any torrent with 1 other seed down to 65 kbps and any with 0 seeds to 256 kbps to try and not dick over other members ratios. With the exception of the GG Allin mega-torrent (6.8 gig) that gets full bandwidth. I'm trying to find a balance between being a steady seed for anything I've gotten from here and not harming other users with limited bandwidth.

It would be nice if a tracker could prioritize seeds based off of ratios but I know that's probably not how things work. Things like seed bonus points given based on seed time, users gifting users data, bounties for requests ... could help people maintain ratios but it sounds like no changes will happen until the next version of POS.

what would that look like? I've just never encountered anything like and it sounds like a cool idea- not that I have a vote.

Re: Ratio whores

This is the bonus points/seed bonus structure for one site.
http://ultraimg.com/images/bonus.png

This is a request form for another site with the bounty section.
http://ultraimg.com/images/requeste07fa.png

Other sites have things like points for a 1-1 ratio on single torrents, custom titles, custom smilies and then of course points towards global free-leech for certain duration. Having an option for global free-leech is good although you tend to have free-leech fairly often, which IMHO benefits the entire site. Although if POS tends to have a problem with leeches something would have to factor in. Say maybe, members would have to already have a positive ratio to be eligible for global free-leech. The more trackers I'm a part of the more options I see used around and also how versatile trackers can be. Other things I've seen done: contests for literally anything from best xmas tree to easter egg painting, donations cause free-leech, content upload drives, most active forum thread created.

For some reason I remember POS used to have a lot more community around 08 or so. I miss the Zine! But it also seemed a higher percentage of the users were active in the boards and not just downloading. I'd like to figure out how to pull stats from the site just for shits and giggles. It seems like the only people that post anything are limited to less than 200, maybe 100. With registered users at 17,000 I wonder how many are active at all.