Topic: Whatcha reading?

Tell us a bit about it as well.

I'm reading 'The Orphan Master's Son' by Adam Johnson, which is about the son of the boss of an orphanage in North Korea, who starts his life involved with kidnapping, then espionage. Not all that far into it yet, but I saw from the contents that part two tells the story of a Commander. It's shaping up to be interesting.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Whatcha reading?

The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi

A history of the famous swordsman's early life, duels, travels, and the writing of the Gorin no Sho (book of five rings)

Re: Whatcha reading?

Ahh just started reading bill Bryson's 'A short history of nearly everything' and also reading catch 22 again, one of my favourite books.

I have now got internet hooked up and have gone through and started seeding some of my old torrents, If there is anything extra you want or something i am not seeding please send me a message!

Re: Whatcha reading?

Iain Banks - Walking on glass

Re: Whatcha reading?

Norwood wrote:

Ahh just started reading bill Bryson's 'A short history of nearly everything' and also reading catch 22 again, one of my favourite books.

I love that.

A Short History... is on my list. Just waiting till it wont make my head hurt.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Whatcha reading?

Just started reading "Selfish, Whining Monkeys (How we ended up greedy, narcissistic and unhappy)" by Rob Liddle, and yeah, he's the Journo from The Sun recently accused of racist comments, but that's another story.
The book is basically a personal history charting the rise of consumerism and greed from his childhood in the 60's/70's to the present day, he's not that much older than me so I can pretty much relate to most of what he's on about, it's quite amusing, only half serious and he admits from the start that he's probably generalizing frrom his own experiences but the likelihood is that his experiences are representative. Only a few chapters in but it's looking like a good read.

@ DoWot, I read Seaton Point as you recommended, cracking book, very witty and despite it's 7 different authors, pretty seamless. Good call young man smile

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Whatcha reading?

Just finished rereading The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro in preparation for the show starting up on FX this weekend.  Never read the other two in the trilogy, so I figured I should just start over.

I've been reading Y:The Last Man between books.  It's a comic set in a world where a disease wiped out every animal with a y-chromosome except for one guy and his monkey.  I just finished the 4th trade paperback, and it's really good thus far.

Re: Whatcha reading?

In Search of Memory by Eric Kandel

Re: Whatcha reading?

Just grabbed a book called Deliverance from Evil by Frances Hill which is supposedly about the Salem witch trials, which is something I've always been interested in since I read the Crucible in high school. So technically I'm reading three things at once, That + Red Dragon by Thomas Harris + A Blue Exorcist manga.

That's how I roll smile

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Re: Whatcha reading?

Bettie_Rage wrote:

Just grabbed a book called Deliverance from Evil by Frances Hill which is supposedly about the Salem witch trials, which is something I've always been interested in since I read the Crucible in high school. So technically I'm reading three things at once, That + Red Dragon by Thomas Harris + A Blue Exorcist manga.

That's how I roll smile

That sounds interesting, let me know how it is!

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

11

Re: Whatcha reading?

The Alexiad by Anna komnenes its like game of thrones exept its real and has an ending

12 (edited by Phoenix 2014-07-17 00:10:31)

Re: Whatcha reading?

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged for the third or fourth time, along with The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill.

The Oprhan Master's Son was fantastic as well.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Whatcha reading?

Been reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods for nearly a year, it's really good, I'm just slow.

It's a story set in a world where gods feed off the worship of humans, but set in modern times when people have stopped believing in gods.

Re: Whatcha reading?

Just started Jack Grisham from TSOL's autobiography, pretty good diary of a psycho so far!

http://www.amazon.com/An-American-Demon … ck+grisham

for more info.

Re: Whatcha reading?

Squelch wrote:

Been reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods for nearly a year, it's really good, I'm just slow.

It's a story set in a world where gods feed off the worship of humans, but set in modern times when people have stopped believing in gods.

That's absolutely excellent. 'Nevermore' is good as well

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Whatcha reading?

Started a reread of Horns by Joe Hill.  All about Ig Perrish waking up with horns protruding from his head and people telling him dark secrets or just how much they think he brutally raped and murdered his girlfriend. 

I also just finished the second book in The Strain trilogy, The Fall.  They're not a bad set of vampire books. A new, interesting take on the lore.  Not the best set of books by any means, but a nice, quick and, at times, brutal read.

Re: Whatcha reading?

I've been reading Gone Girl since it's coming out in a couple months as a David Fincher movie.  I can see why he's directing.  It's a fucked up book.  I'm about two-thirds into it and can hardly put it down.

Re: Whatcha reading?

Has anyone here read the Song of Ice and Fire series?.....

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

Re: Whatcha reading?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bDW8Z53BL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Re: Whatcha reading?

gnat wrote:

Has anyone here read the Song of Ice and Fire series?.....

Yes.  Great series.  If you watch the show, you'll like the books.  It's a great adaptation, but they've cut a few fantastic characters for the purposes of good television (and streamlining the story).  Some of the best fantasy I've read. 

Supposedly GRRM is taking time off from the show, not visiting the set, not writing any episodes (he wrote the Blackwater battle episode and Joffrey's wedding episode).  Hopefully this means that he'll be putting more time into finishing the sixth book. 

If you like his writing, check out his collection of short stories, Dreamsongs Vol. I.  Some of them are fucked up.  Meathouse Man and Sandkings were two of my favorites.

Re: Whatcha reading?

meh...switched back to Psychos by John Skipps. That Deliverance from Evil book starts off kinda boring so I switched. This book is a beast, it's gonna take me a while. well maybe not...

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Re: Whatcha reading?

I'm reading 'Manson: The life and times of Charles Manson' by Jeff Gunn. Interesting so far.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Whatcha reading?

Bettie_Rage wrote:

meh...switched back to Psychos by John Skipps. That Deliverance from Evil book starts off kinda boring so I switched. This book is a beast, it's gonna take me a while. well maybe not...

My rule of thumb if a book doesn't catch me in 50 pages, then I'm done.  I generally give non-fiction a little more leeway.  I also listen to recommendations.  My aunt told me to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and warned me that the first 50 to 100 pages were pretty boring before the book takes off.  She was right, and if she hadn't told me how good it got, I might not have finished it.

24

Re: Whatcha reading?

Cappy that is my exact rule of thumb when it comes with books.

Re: Whatcha reading?

Cappy wrote:
Bettie_Rage wrote:

meh...switched back to Psychos by John Skipps. That Deliverance from Evil book starts off kinda boring so I switched. This book is a beast, it's gonna take me a while. well maybe not...

My rule of thumb if a book doesn't catch me in 50 pages, then I'm done.  I generally give non-fiction a little more leeway.  I also listen to recommendations.  My aunt told me to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and warned me that the first 50 to 100 pages were pretty boring before the book takes off.  She was right, and if she hadn't told me how good it got, I might not have finished it.

Well I only got through around 30 pages i think and I was thinking, thank fuck I paid 2 bucks for this in the clearance aisle. for the most part I think this book is fiction, just based on elements of the witch trials. Apparently this author has a few other witch trial based books out that have mixed reviews but meh.  I have a nasty book addiction and only one tiny shelf.

On the Girl... books, yeah they do start off slow but once they take off they REALLY take off. I couldn't put them down even if you held a gun to my head. They instantly became my favorite series aside from the Hannibal "series" from Thomas Harris. i literally went through those books the same day i got them.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"