Re: Whatcha reading?

@ bettie, a dude i used to work with claimed his dad used to draw for the original evil ernie run. Aha.

@ btr, final crisis kinda sucked in comparison to the other one... hmm

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

addicted wrote:

@ bettie, a dude i used to work with claimed his dad used to draw for the original evil ernie run. Aha.

I was looking for Infinite Crisis but it wasn't in-stock.

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason,
Why the Gunpowder treason. Should ever be forgot!

addicted wrote:

So, his dad was Steven Hughes who died in 2000 and is one of my artistic gods? If that's true then he's one lucky fucker. I LOVE Pulido's comics, back when it was under Chaos, but I'm not so much into the "reboots" they're doing now. The stories aren't that great and most of them (Purgatori, Chastity) only last a few issues. Ernie Origins was just bad though and I gave them to my mister so he can suffer through it since he's not a comic nut like me but I'm forcing him to be...cuz i can smile. Some guys, through kickstarter i think, have started up Lady Death: Apocalypse which I don't read. The art is bad, sometimes she looks like a man in a bad wig, and they story is meh. Obviously artwork is a big deal to me since it's one of the main reasons why I read comics in the first place, inspiration. I know Pulido has Coffin Comics now but meh...it's just really focused on that new Lady Death.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Bettie_Rage wrote:
addicted wrote:

So, his dad was Steven Hughes who died in 2000 and is one of my artistic gods? If that's true then he's one lucky fucker. I LOVE Pulido's comics, back when it was under Chaos, but I'm not so much into the "reboots" they're doing now. The stories aren't that great and most of them (Purgatori, Chastity) only last a few issues. Ernie Origins was just bad though and I gave them to my mister so he can suffer through it since he's not a comic nut like me but I'm forcing him to be...cuz i can smile. Some guys, through kickstarter i think, have started up Lady Death: Apocalypse which I don't read. The art is bad, sometimes she looks like a man in a bad wig, and they story is meh. Obviously artwork is a big deal to me since it's one of the main reasons why I read comics in the first place, inspiration. I know Pulido has Coffin Comics now but meh...it's just really focused on that new Lady Death.

There is no better Death than Death from The Endless of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. I fell in love with 3 characters from that comic; Dream, Lucifer, and Death. I also had a sweet spot for Delirium.

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason,
Why the Gunpowder treason. Should ever be forgot!

You shut your whore mouth! Lady Death is awesome

BurnTheRich wrote:
addicted wrote:

I was looking for Infinite Crisis but it wasn't in-stock.

Dude, get crisis in time.
Thank me later, braaaah. Ahaha.

Anyhoo, the new 52 is pretty sweet, i suggest ypu and bettie check out, at the very least, the bigger titles from dc right now... If you haven't already. big_smile

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Fractions by Ken MacLeod.

It's about a dystopian UK being broken into different districts, each with their own politics, policies and beliefs, and a coming communist revolution.

Very interesting.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Phoenix wrote:

Fractions by Ken MacLeod.

It's about a dystopian UK being broken into different districts, each with their own politics, policies and beliefs, and a coming communist revolution.

Very interesting.

Sounds like Metro...

I'm currently thumbing Minority Report; a short story collection by Philip K. Dick.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Is there anything such as a book addiction support group? Seriously, I've ordered so much shit I have no idea where to put them all. It's akin to this:

Bettie_Rage wrote:

Is there anything such as a book addiction support group? Seriously, I've ordered so much shit I have no idea where to put them all. It's akin to this:

It's called half price books,

Yes, bettie, i am an enabler. wink

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Pfft, addicted they know me and my brother by NAME at half price! That's how we get all the better coupons than they send through the email. All those rare comics I find there that cost twice as much either online or in the shops. I'm all up and down the true crime, horror and fiction sections. The only "bad" thing about them is that you can't just go in there with a specific purpose because it's a resale shop. But that's why I love it there! We go there and spend, literally, 3 hours there. I use to do that at Borders, but they all closed down and I don't care for Barnes and Noble.

I just finished Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick and Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick.  Started Redshirts by John Scalzi.  I read Man in the High Castle because I watch the Amazon Pilot for the show.  Ghost in the Wires was interesting if you want to hear from Mitnick on how he evaded the FBI and was eventually caught.  Redshirts so far is pretty good, especially for those that like Star Trek.

Bought a collection of the 6first Halo books smile
Like the game hehe.

Also reading The Strain

I've been all over the place with my books . I had really high hopes for one I just finished Days of Rage: America's Radical Underground, the FBI, and the First Age of Terror by Bryan Burrough.  I thought "awesome, a cool book where a dude got the Weather Underground, Black Panthers and other radical groups to talk about their past."  Fuck, this book was all fact, no analysis and the author only briefly touched upon why these groups started setting off bombs all over the country, and that they did it with very few injuries or deaths.  It could have been a fucking awesome book, but it got so bogged down in the minutiae of facts that he forgot to tell a story.  And when he did allow commentary from interviews that strayed from the facts, it always came from FBI agents who fucking broke the law on the hunt for these groups and then got pissy when they got prosecuted.  Or the son of one of the few guys to die going on a rant against them.  It was a book of wasted potential.

On the other hand, I've been reading lots of comics this year, catching up with the first two trade paperbacks of the new Ms. Marvel, which is fucking fantastic.  The new female Thor, which came in handy that I read it right after reading Original Sin so I understood why male Thor is no longer weilding mjolnir.  Read the first trade paperback of Lumberjanes which is delightfully witty and fun.  And finally got around to reading The Armageddon Rag by George R.R. Martin, it was a decent read, and kind of fun that I read it at the same time as Days of Rage because it ends up following a guy and his group of friends after their radicalization in the 60s.  Plus Martin invented a Tolkien-themed rock band, The Nazgul, that I wish fucking existed.

"Shot in the heart" The family story of the 70's killer frank Gillmore as told by his younger brother, That and I just got done reading "the murder of bob crane" It's odd that if that happened to today (crane getting murdered) His death would have been solved within six months, But almost forty years later thanks to the bumbling of the small town Scarsdale Arizona police we'll never really know who killed Hogan.

"If there's one thing i've learned, It's that life's just one series of curshing defeats after another until you just wished flanders was dead" -Homer simpson

The Siege of Trencher's Farm or Straw Dogs by Gordon Williams. Just got a fresh batch in from Amazon actually: Wayward Pines by Blake Crouch; The "real" story of Sweeney Todd by Peter Haining; and In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (whom I am a fan of).

I just make it rain books...and it hurts.

Most recent Descender.
Manhattan project tpb vol 2.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

The Girl in the Spider's Web

Since this isn't a Stieg novel, I really hope this other author didn't fuck it up, especially since Lisbeth is my favorite fictional character....reminds me of me.

The Wise mans fear by patrick rothfuss, i hate myself now for starting a trilogy that isnt finished, better start pacing mysef

PM Me if You Need A Reseed on Anything I Downloaded or Uploaded

I've been tearing through A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin.  It's the first time he's had the three short stories he's written about a hedge knight and is squire collected in one volume.  It's always nice to return to Westeros, even if it is about a century before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire. 

Previous to that I read Felicia Day's memoir-ish book, You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost).  It was a fun quick read.  I'm on the waitlist at the library for the new Stephen King short stories that just came out.  I hope it's better than his more recent novels which have all just been middling for me. 

Other than that I've been reading a lot of comics.  Lumberjanes, Fight Club 2, Bitch Planet, The Humans.  I've been all over the place, even throwing in some manga here and there.

I'm with you on the new Lisbeth book, Bettie.  Not sure I'm even interested in picking it up since I know it was only written for Larsson's family to cash in on his characters and the success of the original novels.

I got Stephen Kings new short story collection today, Bazaar of Bad Dreams... looks promising.

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

Cappy wrote:

I've been tearing through A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin.  It's the first time he's had the three short stories he's written about a hedge knight and is squire collected in one volume.  It's always nice to return to Westeros, even if it is about a century before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire. 

Previous to that I read Felicia Day's memoir-ish book, You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost).  It was a fun quick read.  I'm on the waitlist at the library for the new Stephen King short stories that just came out.  I hope it's better than his more recent novels which have all just been middling for me. 

Other than that I've been reading a lot of comics.  Lumberjanes, Fight Club 2, Bitch Planet, The Humans.  I've been all over the place, even throwing in some manga here and there.

I'm with you on the new Lisbeth book, Bettie.  Not sure I'm even interested in picking it up since I know it was only written for Larsson's family to cash in on his characters and the success of the original novels.

Yeah I know. I hope it doesn't feel rushed and thrown together just for the sake of releasing another book in his name knowing that fans would probably pick it up anyway. Actually, my mom got it for me at hpb for like $14 since I already had it on my tablet after getting it from kickass and I just can't read a novel on a screen. I just can't do it. I just like hard copies and i like to smell books...YES YES I DAMN WELL DO. I'm kinda scared to read it actually! lol.

I have a hard time reading on screens too.  I like to read before bed, and anything that is a backlit LCD just fucks with my sleep cycle.  So when I do read on a kindle, it's an old school one. 

You'll have to let me know what you think.  I was really wary about Brian Sanderson finishing up The Wheel of Time books, but he did a good job.  But he also had copious notes from Robert Jordan because he knew he was dying and he had Jordan's wife to edit the book as well.  So it's a bit like apples and oranges, but I'll withhold judgement until I read some reviews.

Will do, Capin. My problem is that when I'm reading on a screen for a while, I go cross-eyed or I get a bad headache right between my eyes. I also like to read before bed, so I'm aiming to crack it open tonight.

Let's see how this goes.

Just read Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West.
I really liked it.

Google a synopsis or review. It's relatively cheap as an e-book, and I'm sure you can pick it up at your local library. I definitely recommend this one.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.