Topic: Old Firm Casuals.

Opinions? I could never get past their first album, thought it was complete shit. I think the name is stupid too, Ive been to Glasgow during a real "Auld Firm" match, and cant see what Lars is up to here. Mind you, I like some of Lars and the bastards, but does it get any better after their first album?

I also see Lars appearing on every release out there, taking photo ops with alot of musicians I respect.. I think "they must've gotten better, hes doing a split with them.."

so who loves them and why? Anyone else hate them like I do?

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

i like em, not sure why, im not a big rancid fan, never really heard the bastards stuff, but the old firm casuals stuff i really like, maybe its cos i grew up on OI! and skin stuff?
and cos i dont focus on the name past a name for a band?
and i dont focus on the whole scots / irish thing either?

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

what album/7" do you like best?

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Bacon wrote:

what album/7" do you like best?

errm dunno really lol, im not a big fan, but ive downloaded most stuff and whenever i play an ep/lp i enjoy it, dont play em often tbh so dont really know em in depth

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Actually, they got better. Their last 2 seven inches (Never Say Die and Perry Boys) are pretty cool.

And about the whole Lars thing. I get why people talk shit about him, specially about him turning a skinhead in his 40's. But like it or not, the guy is related to the scene since the mid 80's. He used to play in UK Subs before he joined Rancid. So, he has more baggage than most of the people.

And I could care less what he wears and do with his hair. If I think the music is good, it's all that matters.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Rioux wrote:

Actually, they got better. Their last 2 seven inches (Never Say Die and Perry Boys) are pretty cool.

And about the whole Lars thing. I get why people talk shit about him, specially about him turning a skinhead in his 40's. But like it or not, the guy is related to the scene since the mid 80's. He used to play in UK Subs before he joined Rancid. So, he has more baggage than most of the people.

And I could care less what he wears and do with his hair. If I think the music is good, it's all that matters.

Really good point.  I had a buddy tell me about some group called SHALF or SkinHeads Against Lars Frederiksen.  I thought it was a load of shit.  He is more skinhead or working class than most skins who are joining that group.  If he wants to play Oi! then I will give it a listen.  Fuck anybody who tries to tell me otherwise.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Rioux wrote:

Actually, they got better. Their last 2 seven inches (Never Say Die and Perry Boys) are pretty cool.

And about the whole Lars thing. I get why people talk shit about him, specially about him turning a skinhead in his 40's. But like it or not, the guy is related to the scene since the mid 80's. He used to play in UK Subs before he joined Rancid. So, he has more baggage than most of the people.

And I could care less what he wears and do with his hair. If I think the music is good, it's all that matters.

Really good point.  I had a buddy tell me about some group called SHALF or SkinHeads Against Lars Frederiksen.  I thought it was a load of shit.  He is more skinhead or working class than most skins who are joining that group.  If he wants to play Oi! then I will give it a listen.  Fuck anybody who tries to tell me otherwise.

I heard about that group. Most people who joined listen to RAC. I just can't take them seriously

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Im not too concerned about the "turning" skinhead thing, as much as the name and the horrible first album lol.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

First album or first 7"?

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Bacon wrote:

Im not too concerned about the "turning" skinhead thing, as much as the name and the horrible first album lol.

I think it's a stupid name as well, and if he knew anything about the bigoted arseholes that represent the old firm, he wouldn't have used it.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I thought the early stuff was pretty boring, so never ventured further. I really have no problem with Lars in an Oi! band, I think the switch to skinhead was unnecessary, as it is a youth subculture, but I don't hate him for it. I think it would have been cooler to front an Oi band as a punk and break some of the stereotypes but whatever. I like Rancid, everyone who's actually met him tells me Lars is a great person, etc.

Frankly, when I heard "Lars" and "Oi" I got excited, and the result did not meet my expectations. Not liking someones music does not mean I have any problem with the people in it (like Jenny Woo, one of the most respectable people in the scene IMO, but I won't say I love what she puts out).

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

OiTheAria wrote:

I thought the early stuff was pretty boring, so never ventured further. I really have no problem with Lars in an Oi! band, I think the switch to skinhead was unnecessary, as it is a youth subculture, but I don't hate him for it. I think it would have been cooler to front an Oi band as a punk and break some of the stereotypes but whatever. I like Rancid, everyone who's actually met him tells me Lars is a great person, etc.

Frankly, when I heard "Lars" and "Oi" I got excited, and the result did not meet my expectations. Not liking someones music does not mean I have any problem with the people in it (like Jenny Woo, one of the most respectable people in the scene IMO, but I won't say I love what she puts out).

Jenny Woo comes from a rich background.  It's pretty hard for me to agree with your view of her as respectable when IMO she is a fake.  She isn't working class.  I didn't think her music I heard was very good or Oi! either.  I'm sure some people like her and her music but I'm not one of them.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I wasn't aware of her rich background...frankly, I just thought that was something all those douchebag skins (Trollfront, anyone?) made up about her. I like how she's willing to play whatever music she wants, even if it's not "skinhead approved". I don't think its "Oi" or should even be labeled "acoustic Oi", and would like to to think that if she didn't do that people would have less of a problem with her. But we know thats not true. A good chunk of that hate seems to stem from sexism and general close-mindedness. By god, have you talked to some of those "anti-Woo" types? 9 out of 10 are total closet boneheads whose opinions I can't fucking take seriously. Although not a fan of her music, I have 10x more respect for it than those who shit out the same boring Oi over 30 years into the game without even an attempt to make it interesting. I won't name bands, but you know they exist.

Most skinheads I know would never pass for the classic definition of "working class" anyway. Especially those who grew up in the States for the past 20-30 years, the lines between "working class", "middle class" and so forth were pretty blurry. Of course with our current shit economy it's a bit different, but whatever. My dad was a National Park ranger. When we moved to Texas we lived in a good neighborhood. Anyone who thinks that makes me less of a skinhead can go fuck themselves.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Good points but I have worked for everything I have.  That's my beef with her.  Nobody paid my way through university. I went straight to work out of high school.  My parents had a decent home in a normal neighborhood. Mom was a teacher and Dad was self employed.  There was never any spare money. 
One of her parents is a lawyer I believe.... 

My dislike of her comes from the simple fact that I think she is fake.  Period.  I'm not sexist or a "total closet bonehead" or even a part bonehead.  We have enough bullshit people in the scene for me to want to support another one who turned skin overnight.  I took months to to afford my first boots...

I am not editorializing your background.  I believe that if you work for what you have then you are working class.  If you had a silver spoon in your mouth and had everything given to you then obviously you are not.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

ANTISOCIAL wrote:

Good points but I have worked for everything I have.  That's my beef with her.  Nobody paid my way through university. I went straight to work out of high school.  My parents had a decent home in a normal neighborhood. Mom was a teacher and Dad was self employed.  There was never any spare money. 
One of her parents is a lawyer I believe....

....... and?
I really don't get you lot sometimes, there's nothing wrong with being working class, kudos to you if you work hard and bring up your family out of your own pocket, but I don't really get the elitism, a vast majority of the people I know are working class, a vast majority of those are complete wankers, it isn't some sort of awesome club that guarantees that they're all great blokes worthy of your respect and attention, sometimes it's quite the opposite.
If you work hard, save your money and can afford to hand things on a plate to your kids and give them chances you never had, would you withhold that money and deny them just so they grow up to be better people? would your kids be worse people if you did help them out? Are the working class more savvy, filled in and understanding because they had a bit of a struggle or can some of them grow up to be pricks?
I can understand you not liking someone who's pretending to be something they're not, I feel the same about the punk pretenders out there, but maybe Woo just happens to love a scene that she knows she's going to be automatically discriminated against in because of a detail of birth, of course she's going to pretend to be something she isn't, you lot demand it, when you set your borders so tight and your rules so rigid of course you're going to get phoneys, they're a product of your own creation.
Skinhead elitists are just as bad as the punk elitists who reckon you're not a punk unless you live in a squat, sniffin glue and own a small dog on a piece of string

btw, Hi OTA http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090719103249/runescape/images/2/22/Wave_smiley.gif

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

16 (edited by OiTheAria 2014-07-21 21:25:52)

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Hi Guana tongue

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I think its more important to have a hard-working mindset than a matter of birthright "working class". There are as many shitty poor people as shitty rich people. As for Antisocial, how do we know her parents paid for everything, anyway?

Oh and I wasn't implying you were sexist or a closet bonehead...you've never said anything to make me think such. But one look on any forum about Jenny Woo will kind of make it obvious that a LARGE chunk of those people are harboring some kind of ideals. "Jenny Woo has down syndrome", "chink cunt", yeah, I can't remember the last time I angrily called a black person I didn't like a "nigger". Then again, the internet brings out the absolute worst in people.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I really don't like her music, but Woo is one of the nicest persons in the skinhead scene. She's polite and kind, and always avaiable. Plus, she's doing her on thing in a mainly men subculte, that still is very sexist. So, I respect her for everything she's doing

Thanks: OiTheAria1

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Her vocals really get to me when she does the whole "oh-ah-oww-aoohwahhh" thing, which is what turns me off from the music. As far as an acoustic guitar goes, I don't recall people getting upset over Yellow Stitches doing their acoustic songs. There's definitely some unwarranted hate. Death threats over the internet are never cool either, and I know she's received plenty, as has Lars, to bring the topic full circle.

19 (edited by Phoenix 2014-07-22 00:30:15)

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Guana wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:

Good points but I have worked for everything I have.  That's my beef with her.  Nobody paid my way through university. I went straight to work out of high school.  My parents had a decent home in a normal neighborhood. Mom was a teacher and Dad was self employed.  There was never any spare money. 
One of her parents is a lawyer I believe....

....... and?
I really don't get you lot sometimes, there's nothing wrong with being working class, kudos to you if you work hard and bring up your family out of your own pocket, but I don't really get the elitism, a vast majority of the people I know are working class, a vast majority of those are complete wankers, it isn't some sort of awesome club that guarantees that they're all great blokes worthy of your respect and attention, sometimes it's quite the opposite.
If you work hard, save your money and can afford to hand things on a plate to your kids and give them chances you never had, would you withhold that money and deny them just so they grow up to be better people? would your kids be worse people if you did help them out? Are the working class more savvy, filled in and understanding because they had a bit of a struggle or can some of them grow up to be pricks?
I can understand you not liking someone who's pretending to be something they're not, I feel the same about the punk pretenders out there, but maybe Woo just happens to love a scene that she knows she's going to be automatically discriminated against in because of a detail of birth, of course she's going to pretend to be something she isn't, you lot demand it, when you set your borders so tight and your rules so rigid of course you're going to get phoneys, they're a product of your own creation.
Skinhead elitists are just as bad as the punk elitists who reckon you're not a punk unless you live in a squat, sniffin glue and own a small dog on a piece of string

btw, Hi OTA

Well said. We used to see the snobbery of nobility, today we see the inverted snobbery of the proud "have-nots". I'm gonna toss into the ring Joe Strummer, who gets castigated for going to private school as if it was his choice to do so, and George Orwell, who the 'socialist' literature students I drank with called 'a middle-class wanker with his head up his own arse'.

Apart from the fact they were talking about George fucking Orwell, who did more for socialism than they could ever conceive from their bedsits, I resented 'middle class' being part of the insult. From people who were often so obviously middle class themselves - but they 'identified' as working class, so they were. Fine then. I'll identify as Chinese from now on. Therefore I am Chinese.

I often wish I'd replied with something along the lines of 'what would you know about it, you ill-educated working class oik', but these were one of the few occasions when I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

OT, I know, but I feel much better now!

BTW, never heard OFC, quite like the bastards.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Guana wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:

Good points but I have worked for everything I have.  That's my beef with her.  Nobody paid my way through university. I went straight to work out of high school.  My parents had a decent home in a normal neighborhood. Mom was a teacher and Dad was self employed.  There was never any spare money. 
One of her parents is a lawyer I believe....

....... and?
I really don't get you lot sometimes, there's nothing wrong with being working class, kudos to you if you work hard and bring up your family out of your own pocket, but I don't really get the elitism, a vast majority of the people I know are working class, a vast majority of those are complete wankers, it isn't some sort of awesome club that guarantees that they're all great blokes worthy of your respect and attention, sometimes it's quite the opposite.
If you work hard, save your money and can afford to hand things on a plate to your kids and give them chances you never had, would you withhold that money and deny them just so they grow up to be better people? would your kids be worse people if you did help them out? Are the working class more savvy, filled in and understanding because they had a bit of a struggle or can some of them grow up to be pricks?
I can understand you not liking someone who's pretending to be something they're not, I feel the same about the punk pretenders out there, but maybe Woo just happens to love a scene that she knows she's going to be automatically discriminated against in because of a detail of birth, of course she's going to pretend to be something she isn't, you lot demand it, when you set your borders so tight and your rules so rigid of course you're going to get phoneys, they're a product of your own creation.
Skinhead elitists are just as bad as the punk elitists who reckon you're not a punk unless you live in a squat, sniffin glue and own a small dog on a piece of string

btw, Hi OTA http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090719103249/runescape/images/2/22/Wave_smiley.gif

I shall repeat my myself for clarity - My dislike of her comes from the simple fact that I think she is fake.  Period.  I'm not sexist or a "total closet bonehead" or even a part bonehead.  We have enough bullshit people in the scene for me to want to support another one who turned skin overnight.

I can't stand fakes or pretenders or posers (even though I have hated that term since seeing SLC Punk).  I absolutely hate double standards too.  I don't agree with anyone sending death threats or any sexist BS thrown at her.  I just don't like or support her.  This doesn't make me an elitist.  I didn't create the scene.  I didn't make it all about working class.  It is just where I fit in and belong.  If she has so many people who dislike her in the scene shouldn't that say something?  2 of my best friends feel the same way I do and their views on racism and sexism etc are the same.  One of them even knew her for years and doesn't support her for the same reasons.  I'm not here to change anybody's mind.  I'm just sharing my opinion which seems to make me a "the bad guy" on this topic.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

21 (edited by OiTheAria 2014-07-22 03:51:36)

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I never said you were the bad guy. You are giving your reasons for disliking/supporting her and I'm giving my reasons why I support and respect her.

"If she has so many people in the scene who dislike her shouldn't that say something" - No, not really. I've come to terms with the fact that way too many people who claim skinhead are pretty much "tough guy" pieces of shit who can't think for themselves. And it so happens that many of the skinheads I DO respect support her: the Templars, Noi!se, Franky Flame, etc. The ones who actually make the subculture worth being a part of. But ones opinion should not be swayed because other people think a certain way. Thats the kind of blind conformity you see way too much of in the subculture these days. This goes for me as well. I don't support her because other people do. I made up my own mind on the subject.

Nothing I've said is any sort of passive-aggressive reference to you. You are entitled to your opinions and I respect them. Again, you aren't the one going around sending death threats or calling her a chink but you know, "totally not racist, guys".

(Don't deny these dickheads exist though)

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

OiTheAria wrote:

I never said you were the bad guy. You are giving your reasons for disliking/supporting her and I'm giving my reasons why I support and respect her.

"If she has so many people in the scene who dislike her shouldn't that say something" - No, not really. I've come to terms with the fact that way too many people who claim skinhead are pretty much "tough guy" pieces of shit who can't think for themselves. And it so happens that many of the skinheads I DO respect support her: the Templars, Noi!se, Franky Flame, etc. The ones who actually make the subculture worth being a part of. But ones opinion should not be swayed because other people think a certain way. Thats the kind of blind conformity you see way too much of in the subculture these days. This goes for me as well. I don't support her because other people do. I made up my own mind on the subject.

Nothing I've said is any sort of passive-aggressive reference to you. You are entitled to your opinions and I respect them. Again, you aren't the one going around sending death threats or calling her a chink but you know, "totally not racist, guys".

(Don't deny these dickheads exist though)

Didn't mean you were calling me the bad guy.  Just had a few jumping in with their two cents all opposing my opinions.  That just makes me the bad guy - haha! I'm also not denying any dickheads exist either. I'm not sure if you were questioning if my opinion of her is based upon someone else's but no that is not the case.  Blind conformity is pretty funny to watch but also aggravating.  One of my aforementioned friends and I have had some real bitch sessions about the fact that our local scene is starting to be a fashion contest by who can have the best and most expensive rare button down or suit etc.  We hate that BS.   Neither one of us could afford button downs when we were kids nor could the kids we hung around with then.  We have started going out in t-shirts and jeans since to prove a point. We don't like a lot of this kind of attitude either.

But back on topic, does anybody not wonder how Jenny was able to travel and meet all these bands before her music career got off the ground?  It's certainly too expensive for most people I know. Especially for recent post graduate students who have paid their way through university.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

23 (edited by OiTheAria 2014-07-22 19:47:52)

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Everyone has their own life, ways of saving, etc. I bought my family a trip to Disney World after some intense saving last year and I'll be damned if anyone is going to question my credibility for doing that. But you can't stop people from having suspicions. Meh. At the end of the day I think we both have valid points. I'm not the kind of person that will live and die for Jenny Woo or anything. But I will voice my opinions if the subject comes up.

Oh by the way, totally get what you say about those assholes who are all about the fashion. I actually like dressing nice...but often I have to do it on a budget. Not too long ago I got somebody with a fake profile message me on facebook telling me how I wasn't a proper skinhead because I wear t-shirts in my profile pictures. Because apparently if you are a skinhead on facebook you need to dress your sharpest in pictures.

Also had one person at the Bishops Green show tell me "I haven't seen you on facebook, or instagram" (I have both but don't add people I don't know) which really made me laugh at the current state of the scene.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

OiTheAria wrote:

Everyone has their own life, ways of saving, etc. I bought my family a trip to Disney World after some intense saving last year and I'll be damned if anyone is going to question my credibility for doing that. But you can't stop people from having suspicions. Meh. At the end of the day I think we both have valid points. I'm not the kind of person that will live and die for Jenny Woo or anything. But I will voice my opinions if the subject comes up.

Oh by the way, totally get what you say about those assholes who are all about the fashion. I actually like dressing nice...but often I have to do it on a budget. Not too long ago I got somebody with a fake profile message me on facebook telling me how I wasn't a proper skinhead because I wear t-shirts in my profile pictures. Because apparently if you are a skinhead on facebook you need to dress your sharpest in pictures.
Also had one person at the Bishops Green show tell me "I haven't seen you on facebook, or instagram" (I have both but don't add people I don't know) which really made me laugh at the current state of the scene.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers OTA,I'm having to hide my laughter from the rest of the office. You have to wonder what the original skinheads of the 60s would have to say about all this.

"I tried to push him away with my head and I shouldn't have done that." - Alan Pardew

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Regardless of her background, Jenny Woo is definitely no "fake". She's been a part of the Canadian Oi! scene for a long time out west and in Ontario. She clearly has a passion for it and wouldn't be doing it otherwise. It's not like she's making millions off of Oi!. Just because her upbringing doesn't match your view on what's working class doesn't make her a phony.