Topic: Windows 10

I know I'm probably going to get grief for still using windows, but has anybody switched to windows 10 and if so, what are your thoughts?  Should I switch?  I read that it really collects user info compared to previous versions but I believe you can turn that off too.  Cheers!

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Re: Windows 10

not yet - i want more info on just how much big brother tech is built into it first. If you can believe half of what you read, supposedly it can shut down pirated copies of software, so what might that mean for music file sharing? If a file doesnt contain a legit itunes, or amazon, or other legit host tag, can/will it lock it out?

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

That is a concern I hadn't heard about yet...  It wouldn't surprise me if they did that

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Since I had Windows 8, i guess this icon pop up that allows you to upgrade for free. Apparently you have to click to "reserve a copy" or whatever and it will let you know when your "upgrade is ready". I guess Microshaft wants to feel important and special. I've hated Windows these past upgrades but I also HATE Apple and refuse to join that cult. Windows 8 was all that was wrong with the world as was Vista, soo...It's supposedly installing it now, so I'll let you know.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Bettie_Rage wrote:

Since I had Windows 8, i guess this icon pop up that allows you to upgrade for free. Apparently you have to click to "reserve a copy" or whatever and it will let you know when your "upgrade is ready". I guess Microshaft wants to feel important and special. I've hated Windows these past upgrades but I also HATE Apple and refuse to join that cult. Windows 8 was all that was wrong with the world as was Vista, soo...It's supposedly installing it now, so I'll let you know.

I've reserved mine too but was afraid to take the leap without more info.  I totally get what you mean about apple.  I had an iphone and thought it was great... until I upgraded it then it became a paperweight.  It made me realize the scam type monopoly apple is. Their solution to the phones problems was get a new phone. So I did.  A sony!  I have an ipod classic 160GB which they discontinued so sony will get my business there too since they seem to be the only company who makes an mp3 player bigger than 80GB.  I just want an mp3 player to store a bunch of music and play it not give me games and crap

WEST HAM til I Die!!

oblivionbunny wrote:

not yet - i want more info on just how much big brother tech is built into it first. If you can believe half of what you read, supposedly it can shut down pirated copies of software, so what might that mean for music file sharing? If a file doesnt contain a legit itunes, or amazon, or other legit host tag, can/will it lock it out?

surely it cant use tags to lock out ripped music, what about your own files for personal use ripped off your own cds and vinyl?

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

ive switched from 7 about two weeks ago, I love it, havent had any issues. Dont let fools judge you on your operating system lol, tell them to suck your e-penis, and dont forget those e-nutz! smile

8 (edited by oblivionbunny 2015-09-13 15:33:11)

mel_the_bell wrote:
oblivionbunny wrote:

surely it cant use tags to lock out ripped music, what about your own files for personal use ripped off your own cds and vinyl?

I'm not saying it will, but it certainly has the chance that It could. My "example" thought: a cousin of mine recently bought a new ford truck that has a decent stereo in it (plenty of ways to hook your own media in to it). If you plug a memory stick into the thing full of mp3, it will only play the files that he got via itunes, it wont play any of our own rips for "copyright violation".  Funny thing if you play tunes through the bluetooth connection they are fine, regardless of origin. I'm plenty aware that there's software out there that allows you to control that copyright tag, but that is not quite the point of the argument. If a simple car stereo can control you at that level, just what have they stashed in an operating system?

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

Bacon wrote:

ive switched from 7 about two weeks ago, I love it, havent had any issues. Dont let fools judge you on your operating system lol, tell them to suck your e-penis, and dont forget those e-nutz! smile

HAHA!  I'm running 8 now and I can't remember if I used 7 (I think I did on my last laptop but they are all a blur).  When you go into the privacy settings, can you restrict the information gathering?

WEST HAM til I Die!!

You can shut everything off in the privacy settings. Google a privacy walkthrough for windows 10.

Best OS since XP in my opinion.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

addicted wrote:

You can shut everything off in the privacy settings. Google a privacy walkthrough for windows 10.

Best OS since XP in my opinion.

Good to hear, thanks

WEST HAM til I Die!!

ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Bettie_Rage wrote:

I've reserved mine too but was afraid to take the leap without more info.  I totally get what you mean about apple.  I had an iphone and thought it was great... until I upgraded it then it became a paperweight.  It made me realize the scam type monopoly apple is. Their solution to the phones problems was get a new phone. So I did.  A sony!  I have an ipod classic 160GB which they discontinued so sony will get my business there too since they seem to be the only company who makes an mp3 player bigger than 80GB.  I just want an mp3 player to store a bunch of music and play it not give me games and crap

Dude EXACTLY! My mom had an iphone, after I adamantly told her not to, and after a few month she just HATED that thing. Never let a day go by without letting that be known. She's not a tech freak, like me, and I've never seen her so anxious for her time to upgrade. She actually told the people at ATT to "burn the goddamn thing", she's had an LG ever since. I too have the 160gb because there hasn't been any decent mp3 players, and i have A LOT of music; we saw how the zune turned out. I don't want a new one either because their little Ipod touch only goes to 16gb (i think) and I could fill that up in 10 minutes and I'm not going to pick and choose what music I'm gonna listen to that day. THEN those Apple assholes lie about how many gigs you actually get as I'm sure you noticed that you really get around 148gbs opposed to the advertised 160gbs because of all the extra crap they per-install.

But I gave up on trying to install Windows 10, it literally took all damn day just to download and would barely move during installation. Fuck it, I'll deal with 8. I also hear that they can spy on what you do with 10, but I think you can opt out of that.

Bettie_Rage wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Bettie_Rage wrote:

Dude EXACTLY! My mom had an iphone, after I adamantly told her not to, and after a few month she just HATED that thing. Never let a day go by without letting that be known. She's not a tech freak, like me, and I've never seen her so anxious for her time to upgrade. She actually told the people at ATT to "burn the goddamn thing", she's had an LG ever since. I too have the 160gb because there hasn't been any decent mp3 players, and i have A LOT of music; we saw how the zune turned out. I don't want a new one either because their little Ipod touch only goes to 16gb (i think) and I could fill that up in 10 minutes and I'm not going to pick and choose what music I'm gonna listen to that day. THEN those Apple assholes lie about how many gigs you actually get as I'm sure you noticed that you really get around 148gbs opposed to the advertised 160gbs because of all the extra crap they per-install.

But I gave up on trying to install Windows 10, it literally took all damn day just to download and would barely move during installation. Fuck it, I'll deal with 8. I also hear that they can spy on what you do with 10, but I think you can opt out of that.

I was hoping you would come back with a review of windows 10 but I haven't the patience either but I'm not tech savvy enough with OS to just wing it! Haha!  Ya I definitely noticed the ipod space loss.  I totally agree with you, there is no way to have time to pick and choose what to load onto my device each day or week.  I want all my music in one go.  Check this out - http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nwz-a10-series  this is my next purchase when my ipod shits the bed.  It is expandable and bluetooth capable so no more wires to the vehicle stereo!

WEST HAM til I Die!!

It took me a half hour from downoad to install.
Idk what all this fuss was about.
I guess i was one of the lucky consumers. Lol

And bettie, it's phishing.
To sell you shit.
Rumors of keystroke logging is bullshit.
It's all been rebutted by much smarter men and women than i. Lol smile

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

ANTISOCIAL wrote:

I was hoping you would come back with a review of windows 10 but I haven't the patience either but I'm not tech savvy enough with OS to just wing it! Haha!  Ya I definitely noticed the ipod space loss.  I totally agree with you, there is no way to have time to pick and choose what to load onto my device each day or week.  I want all my music in one go.  Check this out - http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nwz-a10-series  this is my next purchase when my ipod shits the bed.  It is expandable and bluetooth capable so no more wires to the vehicle stereo!

I want it neutral. It looks like a great replacement once this piece of shit ipod goes out, which I think is soon. Kinda worried about the 64gbs  since, like I said, I have A LOT of music but then again, I don't know exactly how much space all of it would actually use up; and there's some stuff I need to get rid of anyway since I don't listen to it much. It's pricey, but probably isn't a real difference from my ipod price. I don't even remember how much it cost, i think maybe $150-200 (?). Looks like I'd have to order it though since it doesn't show any stores near that has it, but my computer is stupid and slow sooo. Guess I found my grad school graduation present.

Addicted: yeah, you lucky bastard because it STILL takes FOREVER to install on my computer. I just gave up on it unless I get reallllly bored one day and decide to leave my comp on all day to see what happens.

Bettie_Rage wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:

I want it neutral. It looks like a great replacement once this piece of shit ipod goes out, which I think is soon. Kinda worried about the 64gbs  since, like I said, I have A LOT of music but then again, I don't know exactly how much space all of it would actually use up; and there's some stuff I need to get rid of anyway since I don't listen to it much. It's pricey, but probably isn't a real difference from my ipod price. I don't even remember how much it cost, i think maybe $150-200 (?). Looks like I'd have to order it though since it doesn't show any stores near that has it, but my computer is stupid and slow sooo. Guess I found my grad school graduation present.

Addicted: yeah, you lucky bastard because it STILL takes FOREVER to install on my computer. I just gave up on it unless I get reallllly bored one day and decide to leave my comp on all day to see what happens.

Don't forget it has an expandable memory thru a card slot. I think you can add 128 GB to it bringing it up to 194 GB if my math is correct.  I won't even buy it unless I bring home a memory card for it.  My ipod button/wheel is getting wiggly and it is acting up so I think it is getting close to taking a bite of the big green weenie!  Haha

WEST HAM til I Die!!

I'm sold neutral. God bless, Sony. Finally, an alternative to a damn ipod. This pleases the Bettie. If this thing can just hold on for maybe a year, then I can chuck it into the bayou and watch it drown. The PS4 is gonna have to wait; i'm waiting for the PS5 anyway, rumored to be coming sometime in 2017. It's so....beautiful, backwards compatability be DAMNED!

Bettie_Rage wrote:

I'm sold neutral. God bless, Sony. Finally, an alternative to a damn ipod. This pleases the Bettie. If this thing can just hold on for maybe a year, then I can chuck it into the bayou and watch it drown. The PS4 is gonna have to wait; i'm waiting for the PS5 anyway, rumored to be coming sometime in 2017. It's so....beautiful, backwards compatability be DAMNED!

That sounds familiar - having to wait.  I'm looking to upgrade from a xbox 360 to a ps4 so I can play online with my brother across the country but damn - life responsibilities like my wife and kids and bills take top priority! Who knew! haha

WEST HAM til I Die!!

ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Bettie_Rage wrote:

That sounds familiar - having to wait.  I'm looking to upgrade from a xbox 360 to a ps4 so I can play online with my brother across the country but damn - life responsibilities like my wife and kids and bills take top priority! Who knew! haha

Yeah, me and my brother are done with Microshaft (name should tell you why) and fully PS people now; which we usually did both consoles anyway. I can live without some Xbox exclusives so I'm not sweating over that crap. We never buy consoles at launch and wait at least a year or 2, which is what most gamers do, so all the bugs can be sorted out so as not to have the situation with the Xbone (had issues a few months after it came out and some people had to trade it in for a new one). But I mean DAMN, that GODDAMN PS4 just will not go down in price. I'm like really, that's 2 goddamn textbooks. But, like I said, I've got my eye on the PS5 which comes out maybe 2017 or 18; That thing is just beautiful but I doubt it will be backwards compatible which is a big thing for me since most people still have their old games from the last gen consoles when new ones come out and those things are expensive.

Great thing about everything is a) I'm not married, and don't plan on it and b) I don't have any kids, because I hate kids. All 3 of my kids have fur and walk on 4 legs and are my only everything. I'm too selfish to spawn and I'm not the motherly type towards humans. BUT, i'm unemployed too, not for lack of trying for the past 5 years, so I kinda rely on things to do around the house to get paid and takes a while to even get game money anyway; my money typically goes towards my dogs, comics and art supplies. But yeah, Microsoft can suck my asshole dry for all i care.

Bettie_Rage wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Bettie_Rage wrote:

Yeah, me and my brother are done with Microshaft (name should tell you why) and fully PS people now; which we usually did both consoles anyway. I can live without some Xbox exclusives so I'm not sweating over that crap. We never buy consoles at launch and wait at least a year or 2, which is what most gamers do, so all the bugs can be sorted out so as not to have the situation with the Xbone (had issues a few months after it came out and some people had to trade it in for a new one). But I mean DAMN, that GODDAMN PS4 just will not go down in price. I'm like really, that's 2 goddamn textbooks. But, like I said, I've got my eye on the PS5 which comes out maybe 2017 or 18; That thing is just beautiful but I doubt it will be backwards compatible which is a big thing for me since most people still have their old games from the last gen consoles when new ones come out and those things are expensive.

Great thing about everything is a) I'm not married, and don't plan on it and b) I don't have any kids, because I hate kids. All 3 of my kids have fur and walk on 4 legs and are my only everything. I'm too selfish to spawn and I'm not the motherly type towards humans. BUT, i'm unemployed too, not for lack of trying for the past 5 years, so I kinda rely on things to do around the house to get paid and takes a while to even get game money anyway; my money typically goes towards my dogs, comics and art supplies. But yeah, Microsoft can suck my asshole dry for all i care.

All I'm going to say is good for you.  Knowing you don't want kids and that you feel you aren't suited for the parental role is commendable.  Far too many people have children without realizing that they shouldn't.  The children suffer for it and it only continues from there.
I don't know if I can wait til '17 or '18 personally.  I don't buy consoles at launch either but that's because I know there will be bugs and that they will drop in price eventually.  Just like new cars - never buy the first year of a new model line. 
Anyway, I sure hope your job situation improves.  I honestly can't relate but I know it would be really stressful.  I served 20 years in the army and was lucky to leave halfway through my apprenticeship as a carpenter so I finished that quickly through my current company.  Somebody was looking out for me I guess.

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Yeah, everyone practically says the same thing about me and kids, especially my parents. My bf, on the other hand, feels it will change but doesn't talk about it because, i guess, it upsets him that I'm so adamant about having no kids. I never saw kids in my future, unless they're animals. I don't really care and it's not my problem sooooo....I just tell him to deal with that. He just doesn't get it but doesn't bitch about it because i normally would bite his damn head off....literally, a punch right to the throat like last time. My dogs fill that supposed void and I don't have a "biological clock".

I'm glad you're one of the few people that are smart when it comes to consoles and knew the general rule lol. I hate those elitists that spew that "just get a next gen" crap when there are more last gen consoles in homes than next gen. I'm sure if I had the finances, since I still live at home with no big bills, I'd probably would've have one but I'm not entirely worried about it. In my house, my brother gets the consoles first because he's the baby and I'm the oldest so i get most everything. But I'm just hung up on the PS5, I guess mostly because it looks good and I can't really remember all the specs lol. Consider yourself GODDAMN lucky to not deal with long-term unemployement because, honestly, you never really get use to it. I've got a short ass attention span so i need to be busy and playing games all day, going to class 2 days and week and randomly painting gets old. I'm not one for routine and I need to be busy. Big mistake: majoring in psychology while living in Houston and no affordable prospects of a doctorate program with one university just being uppity about it's former graduates.

Where the hell are you getting this ps5 thing?

I've scoured the internet and found nothing but rumor mills.

And if you consider last gen's lifespan and the current one's potential, it doesn't even logically follow that there's a new console ready for launch in the next two years.

The thing has only been out for about two or three, right?

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

I did the switch back in July. I like it. I'm looking forward to DX12 for gaming, it's supposed to increase performance and use less of your PC's juice.

PunBB bbcode test

addicted wrote:

Where the hell are you getting this ps5 thing?

I've scoured the internet and found nothing but rumor mills.

And if you consider last gen's lifespan and the current one's potential, it doesn't even logically follow that there's a new console ready for launch in the next two years.

The thing has only been out for about two or three, right?

Same here. I did read that Nintendo is doing a new console, but not PS or M$. In reality, gaming companies usually lose money or break even at best on the console itself, so unless "everyone else is doing it", making a new console so quick would seem like a losing proposition.
Or maybe its just me hoping I didnt get a PS4 and 3 years later "needing" a PS5.

By the way, I have both the PS4 and the Xbone now. In all honesty, they are about the same. Its all about the exclusives, really. I basically got the Xbone for 50 bucks, so its not like I splurged. Its a Halo collection edition and I dont even play Halo, lol. I got it cuz it was a great deal, and Forza. Forza is legitimately fucking beautiful. Kinda boring and redundant, but my god is runs PERFECT and is so, so nice. Better than my PC running Project CARS

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Chelsea_Bound wrote:

I did the switch back in July. I like it. I'm looking forward to DX12 for gaming, it's supposed to increase performance and use less of your PC's juice.

Thanks, did you back everything up before you switched?

And ICK, funny you  mention Halo.  I've rolled with XBox for 12 years or so but tried Halo overseas and thought it was lame.  I stick with first person shooters - COD, MOH and I'm looking forward to the new Rainbow 6.  I'm less impressed with COD lately as its camping and ridiculous stuff like flying around crap.  I keep getting told to try battlefield but I just don't have enough time

WEST HAM til I Die!!