Topic: Stick or Auto?

What the title says.
Have at it POSers!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.
Thanks: Bettie_Rage1

Re: Stick or Auto?

I only buy a manual transmission unless I have no other choice. In my 20 years of holding a license I have driven about 3 years automatic, 17 years manual. My wife was a skeptic until I got her over her fear and taught her how to drive a manual. Now she prefers it as well, she likes to drive my car when Im not driving it, for that reason, her current car is an auto and mine is manual, as usual.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Stick or Auto?

I can drive both. My dad taught me how to drive a stick when I was about 6 or 8 in our/my 79 Z28 camaro. But both cars I've had are automatic. Currently, since my piece of pissed off shit car has been acting up and drinking gas like water, I'm putting whatever I can towards the new camaro which I want to be a manual. Keep with tradition. Honestly, aside from it being my favorite model, I'm tired of SUVs and want to downgrade since it's only me and my dogs and I don't need all that room. And I hate cleaning it, inside and out. I don't like a lot of people in my car, so the only person that ever rides with me is my brother.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Re: Stick or Auto?

Don't know stick. Not opposed to learning it but I don't see the benefit considering most cars in the US are automatic.

"I pop punk, not pills"

Re: Stick or Auto?

chisox100 wrote:

Don't know stick. Not opposed to learning it but I don't see the benefit considering most cars in the US are automatic.

Dont you want to be able to do massive burnouts and such?

What if zombies take over and you barely escape with your life, jumping into a car to get away, only to find out its a stick, not an auto?

What if your great uncle Jehosophat kicks the bucket and decides to leave little ol chisox, who he barely knew, his mint Boss 302 Mustang but... its a MANUAL?

What if you and I went out and I got way too hammered and you need to drive us home but... you don't know STICK?!?!?

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Stick or Auto?

The last one, ick. Always the last one hahaha

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Re: Stick or Auto?

Been driving nearly 30 years, drove automatics for about 10 of them and loved it, having a free arm and leg is pretty awesome. But when I went back to driving manuals after that I appreciated them a lot more, it's proper fuckin driving, automatics are like fairground rides, ok for boys and the elderly but you can't drive if you can't work a stick shift.
Over here if you pass your test in an automatic that's all you're allowed to drive, pass it in a manual and the choice is yours.
Ick hit the nail on the head with the zombie outbreak scenario, exchange zombie outbreak for any other emergency and you realise how badly you're restricting yourself.
Learn Chisox..

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Stick or Auto?

How does one learn stick when i dont own/need a car and 90% of people i know dont have one and if they do its automatic?

"I pop punk, not pills"

Re: Stick or Auto?

I'm sure you could find someone down an alley somewhere in Chicago who'd be happy to teach you to drive stick, Chisox.

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

Re: Stick or Auto?

Most dmv's have classes... At least around here.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Re: Stick or Auto?

I've always owned light commercial vans for work and always had manuals because automatic vans are just so gutless. You struggle to make it up little hills with an auto van.

MY BOOTLEG DVD TRADE SITE
http://kimo13.webs.com/

Re: Stick or Auto?

chisox100 wrote:

How does one learn stick when i dont own/need a car and 90% of people i know dont have one and if they do its automatic?

I'm a land mammal, I live in the city but still learned to swim, even though 90% of my friends don't own pools, and the ones that do own spongebob squarepants paddling pools for their kids, I don't see your point chisox.
You admitted in the other thread you have devoted your education to a subject you are not sure how you are going to use so don't come over all practical in this thread.
You're thinking only in terms of your present situation, you've a degree in a subject that could give you a global career, not every country shares the US obsession with automatics, not being able to drive a manual could cost you jobs, see Kimo's post, besides, driving a manual gives you way more control over the vehicle than an automatic, I constantly use early and late gear changes and they make driving a lot easier and quite often safer.
It's a piece of piss to learn chisox and the price isn't going to get cheaper, learn now, you don't know what the future holds for you or how much spare time you'll have.

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

13 (edited by addicted 2015-10-01 21:56:12)

Re: Stick or Auto?

Guana wrote:
chisox100 wrote:

How does one learn stick when i dont own/need a car and 90% of people i know dont have one and if they do its automatic?

I'm a land mammal, I live in the city but still learned to swim, even though 90% of my friends don't own pools, and the ones that do own spongebob squarepants paddling pools for their kids, I don't see your point chisox.
You admitted in the other thread you have devoted your education to a subject you are not sure how you are going to use so don't come over all practical in this thread.
You're thinking only in terms of your present situation, you've a degree in a subject that could give you a global career, not every country shares the US obsession with automatics, not being able to drive a manual could cost you jobs, see Kimo's post, besides, driving a manual gives you way more control over the vehicle than an automatic, I constantly use early and late gear changes and they make driving a lot easier and quite often safer.
It's a piece of piss to learn chisox and the price isn't going to get cheaper, learn now, you don't know what the future holds for you or how much spare time you'll have.

Lol.

It's just practice, chisox.
Not much practicality for it in the U.S...
But it's damn fun and safer in the snow.

EDIT:
Nah, work a labor job, chisox.
It's almost as required to drive a manual dump truck.
The look on my facr when my old boss told me to drive a manual dump truck one day when i was 19 was quite priceless according to my already stick driving buddy. smile haha.
Reasons. Lol

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Re: Stick or Auto?

i can run a 3 on the tree, four on the floor, 5 speed, 6 speed, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15 speed and 18 speed transmission, and i prefer to, but my truck is an automatic because they are hard to find in canada with a stick shift

PM Me if You Need A Reseed on Anything I Downloaded or Uploaded

Re: Stick or Auto?

maverick wrote:

i can run a 3 on the tree, four on the floor, 5 speed, 6 speed, 10 speed, 13 speed, 15 speed and 18 speed transmission, and i prefer to, but my truck is an automatic because they are hard to find in canada with a stick shift

Semi/tractor trucks dont count. Well they do, but they are a whole other breed. My dad drove an 18 wheeler and let me park his truck a couple times, that clutch is STIFF. I never got my own CDL though

So chisox asks, where can he learn to drive a stick when he knows no one who drives a stick?
The "easiest", not "cheapest" way, would be to arrange a rental of a manual transmission car and a driving lesson at the same time, or, being that you are in big ass Chicago, there should be a driving school that provides a manual.

They should also teach you how to parallel park, which is a lost fucking art in the States, I dont know about the rest of the world, but they dont even test for parallel parking it here, and it shows. I swear, I can find parallel parking spots in prime areas during a show just because people dont know how to properly park in one. They all try to nose in, when you have to pull up alongside, and back in

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Stick or Auto?

I had to parallel park for drivers ed but not for the license test. I think the hardest thing I had to do was a "3-point turn".

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

Re: Stick or Auto?

No gearbox, No parallel parking, no wonder you lot are such a menace when you get to our shores.

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Stick or Auto?

Hey, don't lump us all together, guana!
Aside from my DUI, my driving record is spotless!!
Lmfao.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Re: Stick or Auto?

I never learned to parralel park in drivers ed. Didn't need to take the driving test because anyone who got above a B+ in drivers ed wasn't required to. Had to learn how to parralel park on my own. I'm decent enough at it but because I drive for 15 minutes once every 3 months I never need to.

Guana wrote:

No gearbox, No parallel parking, no wonder you lot are such a menace when you get to our shores.

It's because you all drive on the wrong side of the road and have those weird ass round about things. Thats some scary stuff.

"I pop punk, not pills"

Re: Stick or Auto?

chisox100 wrote:

...because I drive for 15 minutes once every 3 months I never need tol.

I couldn't fucking imagine that.
Shit, my car has been broken for a month and I felt crippled the whole time.

City living or not.

Car = freedom.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Re: Stick or Auto?

We have roundabouts everywhere here, too. I love em... better than stoplights thats for damn sure.

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

Re: Stick or Auto?

I don't get why people think parallel parking is so hard. i did it in driver's ed on the first go.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Re: Stick or Auto?

chisox100 wrote:
Guana wrote:

No gearbox, No parallel parking, no wonder you lot are such a menace when you get to our shores.

It's because you all drive on the wrong side of the road and have those weird ass round about things. Thats some scary stuff.

The only time I drive on the wrong side of the road is when I've been overdoing it on GTA (I've been known to get in the passenger side too, I just pretend I'm getting something out of the car and go back and do it properly five minutes later)

But Chisox ... you can't do roundabouts? it's just a bend that goes back to where it started, whatdo you drive? a fuckin' Chariot?

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Stick or Auto?

Bettie_Rage wrote:

I don't get why people think parallel parking is so hard. i did it in driver's ed on the first go.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/nWBffGImQ1c/maxresdefault.jpg

tongue

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Stick or Auto?

I wouldn't say a car means freedom. At least in a gigantic city like Chicago it doesn't. It means stuck in traffic and paying for parking if youre lucky enough to find it. Trains, buses or a bike can get me anywhere I need to be within an hour. A car just sounds stressful. Paying insurance, paying for gas, flat tires, breakdowns. Screw that I'll pay $2 to get on tne train and deal with drunks over that any day.

Guana wrote:
chisox100 wrote:
Guana wrote:

No gearbox, No parallel parking, no wonder you lot are such a menace when you get to our shores.

It's because you all drive on the wrong side of the road and have those weird ass round about things. Thats some scary stuff.

The only time I drive on the wrong side of the road is when I've been overdoing it on GTA (I've been known to get in the passenger side too, I just pretend I'm getting something out of the car and go back and do it properly five minutes later)

But Chisox ... you can't do roundabouts? it's just a bend that goes back to where it started, whatdo you drive? a fuckin' Chariot

I've seen round abouts on sidestreets but they're non existent on busy streets in the Midwest to my knowledge. Those giant ones in downtown London and Paris are scary.

"I pop punk, not pills"