Re: Stick or Auto?

chisox100 wrote:

I wouldn't say a car means freedom. At least in a gigantic city like Chicago it doesn't. It means stuck in traffic and paying for parking if youre lucky enough to find it. Trains, buses or a bike can get me anywhere I need to be within an hour. A car just sounds stressful. Paying insurance, paying for gas, flat tires, breakdowns. Screw that I'll pay $2 to get on tne train and deal with drunks over that any day.

Guana wrote:
chisox100 wrote:

It's because you all drive on the wrong side of the road and have those weird ass round about things. Thats some scary stuff.

The only time I drive on the wrong side of the road is when I've been overdoing it on GTA (I've been known to get in the passenger side too, I just pretend I'm getting something out of the car and go back and do it properly five minutes later)

But Chisox ... you can't do roundabouts? it's just a bend that goes back to where it started, whatdo you drive? a fuckin' Chariot

I've seen round abouts on sidestreets but they're non existent on busy streets in the Midwest to my knowledge. Those giant ones in downtown London and Paris are scary.

You can only go as far as the bus line.
Or as far as your feet will take you, bro.
Lol.
With a decent driving record, cars ARE affordable.
Basic maintenance prevents massive mechanical problems down the line.
I'm poor as fuck and still maintain a relatively newer car.
I live just outside of the city, so i travel between both all the time.
In pgh a car is definitely a necessity.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

gnat wrote:

I had to parallel park for drivers ed but not for the license test. I think the hardest thing I had to do was a "3-point turn".

Pssh. I do that 20 times a day doing deliveries. I only have to parallel park once every blue moon or so

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

chisox100 wrote:

I wouldn't say a car means freedom. At least in a gigantic city like Chicago it doesn't. It means stuck in traffic and paying for parking if youre lucky enough to find it. Trains, buses or a bike can get me anywhere I need to be within an hour. A car just sounds stressful. Paying insurance, paying for gas, flat tires, breakdowns. Screw that I'll pay $2 to get on tne train and deal with drunks over that any day.

I actually can go with that, Ive been to Chicago. People get in literal fisticuffs over a parking spot. "Claiming" a space when it is snowing by blocking it off with lawn chairs and keeping it shoveled of snow.

Guana wrote:
chisox100 wrote:

It's because you all drive on the wrong side of the road and have those weird ass round about things. Thats some scary stuff.

The only time I drive on the wrong side of the road is when I've been overdoing it on GTA (I've been known to get in the passenger side too, I just pretend I'm getting something out of the car and go back and do it properly five minutes later)

But Chisox ... you can't do roundabouts? it's just a bend that goes back to where it started, whatdo you drive? a fuckin' Chariot

I've seen round abouts on sidestreets but they're non existent on busy streets in the Midwest to my knowledge. Those giant ones in downtown London and Paris are scary.

We only have some two lane ones here in Tampa. I can handle them fine, but most people I drive behind seem to not understand the concept. If people know whats up, they actually flow rather smoothly. But that's expecting regular human beings to be smart.

No one here just likes the feel of manually adjusting gears to the road conditions?

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

addicted wrote:

No one here just likes the feel of manually adjusting gears to the road conditions?

I love it, quick pump of the foot, slot it fluidly into third with a practiced wrist movement, slam down on the gas and yell "Yee-Ha!" it's almost sexual, a brief feeling of momentary pleasure that (with enough practice) you can do in the blink of an eye without anyone even noticing. http://www.operatori.cz/smajlici/cigareta.gif

@ Chisox. I can totally get why you don't own a car living where you do, I live far enough away from city center and work anti social hours so that any traffic I get caught in is pretty mild.
But, we're not saying you should buy a car, we're saying you should join the big boys and learn to drive proper. It'll be a piece of piss seeing as you can already do the rest of it.
I've gotta say that Ick and Addicted have gone a long way in restoring my faith in American drivers, but I reckon if I was sharing a road with Bettie I'd abandon my car and climb the nearest lamp-post in terror.

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

lol hahahaha....

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

addicted wrote:

And in my case public transit will take me as far north as Milwaukee or as far east as South Bend. I'll get myself a car (and maybe a stick one tongue ) once i'm working a job that puts me above the poverty line. That could be next month or 5 years from now lol

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:
addicted wrote:

And in my case public transit will take me as far north as Milwaukee or as far east as South Bend. I'll get myself a car (and maybe a stick one tongue ) once i'm working a job that puts me above the poverty line. That could be next month or 5 years from now lol

I'm below the poverty line. Can still afford a car and cell phone (in which I use to browse reddit and POS) lol.
Around here, bro, a car is a necessity.
Most jobs require a long commute either into the city or outside the city unless you're fortunate enough to be able to afford to relocate every time you get sacked from a job.
The only stable industry in Pittsburgh is the medical field and even then you risk getting sacked unless you have some formal education.
Over here a vehicle is a priority. Shit, I've gone without utilities to keep my car running.
No car. No job. No money. No home. In that order.

Chicago's public transit seems like it is leaps and bounds ahead of PA transit...
If I were you I'd stall on the notion of getting the car (waiting for applause to my pun). Lol.
But learn, trust me, you never know when you'll need to drive a stick.
I learned that the hard way.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

there is no public transport where i live, so if you cant drive, or dont have friends who can, its all up to your feet or a bicycle. or you can redneck it up and ride an ATV or dirtbike around, in the winter we ride snowmobiles to the bar all the time, cops cant catch you on one and give you a DUI lol

PM Me if You Need A Reseed on Anything I Downloaded or Uploaded

aww...I wan a dirtbike sad

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

there is no faster or more fun way to get around than a dirtbike

37 (edited by Norwood 2015-10-15 14:38:07)

I've got a dirt bike, and I grew up on a farm so I learned to drive manuals straight up. I drive an automatic now and like someone mentioned it's easy because I have one hand free and I drive around a city or 50km up the highway to work. I bought this car because it came up cheap and its practical, not for the transmission. But if I ever spent proper money on a car I'd definitely buy manual.

I have now got internet hooked up and have gone through and started seeding some of my old torrents, If there is anything extra you want or something i am not seeding please send me a message!

Shame is all the car companies I'd spend proper money on are going auto with paddle shifters. Ferrari, Audi, Maserati, Porsche, everyone is going to auto transmissions and no clutch pedal. BMW is sorta holding out but not for long

gonna have to buy a ricer for a clutch soon

Ick McWang wrote:

Shame is all the car companies I'd spend proper money on are going auto with paddle shifters. Ferrari, Audi, Maserati, Porsche, everyone is going to auto transmissions and no clutch pedal. BMW is sorta holding out but not for long

Blame capitalism.
The demand in America for standard transmissions, outside of niche markets, is almost nonexistent.
No incentive to manufacture something without a guaranteed return.

I bet any money by the time I'm old age the only standard vehicles will be commerical and industrial automobiles.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

addicted wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

Blame capitalism.
The demand in America for standard transmissions, outside of niche markets, is almost nonexistent.

I bet any money by the time I'm old age the only standard vehicles will be commerical and industrial automobiles.

Vehicles will probably be mostly self driving by then. The passion to actually physically drive a car, and enjoy the act, is becoming lesser and lesser as time marches on. Driving is a hated chore for most people, if their car could drive them while they could just sit there reading a book, or working, I think most people would sign up right away. Being that I come from a family that is 3 generations deep into auto racing, a self driving car is blasphemy. I don't race a car now, but Ive raced everything from karts to mini stocks to pro stocks to open wheel modifieds. Not having enough sponsorships and not having any rich family made me give it up.

http://www.andersenracepark.com/Home.aspx
This is a bit far of a drive from where I live, about an hour+, but you race REAL karts like I used to race on a REAL track. Sadly, the rental karts are a bit underpowered, using a 9 HP Honda versus the 100cc Yamahas I raced, but its a close as you can get without spending thousands on your own kart. They also offer driver instruction. But for $30 for a 15 minute session, its cheap compared to owning. And its a 13 turn, 1 mile track. That's as big or even bigger than some of the tracks I raced on IRL as far as karts are concerned.

http://tampabaygp.com/
I race here once in a while, it's less than 10 minutes from my house. These are electric karts driven on an indoor track, they top out at 50 MPH/80KMPH. If you go at any random time, who knows who you race with, might be little kids, but on certain nights its very competitive. They have a league night, and that is where you see how you stack up. My first time there, I set the 3rd fastest lap of the week, it got me a free race lol. Its $45 for 3 races, which are either 10 or 12 laps, I forget.

Ick McWang wrote:
addicted wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

Blame capitalism.

Vehicles will probably be mostly self driving by then. The passion to actually physically drive a car, and enjoy the act, is becoming lesser and lesser as time marches on. Driving is a hated chore for most people, if their car could drive them while they could just sit there reading a book, or working, I think most people would sign up right away. Being that I come from a family that is 3 generations deep into auto racing, a self driving car is blasphemy. I don't race a car now, but Ive raced everything from karts to mini stocks to pro stocks to open wheel modifieds. Not having enough sponsorships and not having any rich family made me give it up.

http://www.andersenracepark.com/Home.aspx
This is a bit far of a drive from where I live, about an hour+, but you race REAL karts like I used to race on a REAL track. Sadly, the rental karts are a bit underpowered, using a 9 HP Honda versus the 100cc Yamahas I raced, but its a close as you can get without spending thousands on your own kart. They also offer driver instruction. But for $30 for a 15 minute session, its cheap compared to owning. And its a 13 turn, 1 mile track. That's as big or even bigger than some of the tracks I raced on IRL as far as karts are concerned.

http://tampabaygp.com/
I race here once in a while, it's less than 10 minutes from my house. These are electric karts driven on an indoor track, they top out at 50 MPH/80KMPH. If you go at any random time, who knows who you race with, might be little kids, but on certain nights its very competitive. They have a league night, and that is where you see how you stack up. My first time there, I set the 3rd fastest lap of the week, it got me a free race lol. Its $45 for 3 races, which are either 10 or 12 laps, I forget.

Preachin tp the choir here.
Hell, my family ran moonshine.
And after that my pap raced nascar back when all ypu had to do was show up with a car and a license to be able to register for races haha.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Clutch went on my cobalt with 110k on it.

FUCK.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

You doing burnouts or something? A cobalt, unless you have the supercharged SS, shouldn't be going through clutches.

Although take solace in the fact that once its fixed, you shouldn't ever have to worry about it again. Your car will die or you will wreck it before the clutch goes out again

Dude, I literally do not understand wtf I did to that fucking car!

I baby my clutch, man.

It just started burning one day and over revving like all hell.
So, I parked it the following day.
Getting it looked at Tues.

Blah.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

what year cobalt? cobalts up until very, very recently are basically 90's cavalier/pontiac sunfires with modern safety standards. Actually known to be bulletproof mechanically but a POS in the interior and heating A/C

If its the clutch it will be no less than $500 bucks, possibly quite a bit more. It's been years since I have paid to have a clutch replaced, and that was a rear wheel drive. FWD can cost more

Ick McWang wrote:

what year cobalt? cobalts up until very, very recently are basically 90's cavalier/pontiac sunfires with modern safety standards. Actually known to be bulletproof mechanically but a POS in the interior and heating A/C

If its the clutch it will be no less than $500 bucks, possibly quite a bit more. It's been years since I have paid to have a clutch replaced, and that was a rear wheel drive. FWD can cost more

Clutch was $303 exact.
It catches high (about 3/4 up off the pedal). I hate that.
I've been doing a lot of work on it recently. If you're interested, bro, I'll go into detail.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

A lot of cars are moving to VBT, which is the most efficient, mechanically.  The problem is that you can't have it without several thousand dollars worth of computer tied, inextricably, to the engine and transmission.

That being said, I definitely prefer the control I have with a manual.  However, my dad has a Subaru Forester with a cool automatic transmission.  You can pull the shifter over into "Manual Mode," which lets you select the gear you want manually.  There are some safety overrides involved to prevent you from doing things like forcing the car into first while you're going 60mph/100kph.

I'd like to see some more modern cars mixing these ideas, though, letting you see and modify the actual gear ratio on the fly with your shifting hand, if you want.  That would be fuckin' awesome.

My internet is awful and I'm sharing it.  If you're waiting on me to seed something, be patient; I'll do my best.

"I will never bow down to another man even when everyone's saying I've sinned."  - Toh Kay

BloozEhouNd wrote:

A lot of cars are moving to VBT, which is the most efficient, mechanically.  The problem is that you can't have it without several thousand dollars worth of computer tied, inextricably, to the engine and transmission.

That being said, I definitely prefer the control I have with a manual.  However, my dad has a Subaru Forester with a cool automatic transmission.  You can pull the shifter over into "Manual Mode," which lets you select the gear you want manually.  There are some safety overrides involved to prevent you from doing things like forcing the car into first while you're going 60mph/100kph.

I'd like to see some more modern cars mixing these ideas, though, letting you see and modify the actual gear ratio on the fly with your shifting hand, if you want.  That would be fuckin' awesome.

I actually had a pretty long conversation about this the other day. Lol.
I don't like paddle shifters, slapsticks, and the like.
But to each their own
Autos are fine in the city... That's about it for me.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Drive standard, I love it, have had 3 auto's and 3 manuals, like the manuals a lot more, even the one I got for $700 learned on a 98 VW Passat, 97 Saturn SL2, and currently '04 Ford Focus Zx5 I get bored when I drive the extra effort makes it fun for me.