Re: punk rock and PC culture

pOIvey wrote:

Can someone explain to my dumbass what a "cis male" is?
Heard the term chucked around a lot recently!

Am glad somebody else asked am used to not knowing what the rest of the worlds silly names for everything are but it's getting beyond a joke now.

comfortable in skin.  the pc way for those that identify with the gender they were born as. 'normal' is some sort of transphobic micro aggression or something.

we likes it wicked, we keeps it wicked.

NOTE: if you are trying to grab one of my uploads and it isn't seeding to you its because your IP has been blocked by peerblock.

If I claim to be offended by the term cis gender will PC people stop using it because it can been seen as offensive?

"I pop punk, not pills"

I don't think ever in my life have I had a conversation shoot straight over my head like this one. I've tried to understand by reading the whole thread but no go, (Prolly the side effect of listing to much cow punk I suppose)

"If there's one thing i've learned, It's that life's just one series of curshing defeats after another until you just wished flanders was dead" -Homer simpson

Bloody hell, how thick must the book of "Things that offend twats 2015 edition" be?!?!?

pOIvey wrote:

Bloody hell, how thick must the book of "Things that offend twats 2015 edition" be?!?!?

at least as thick as the heads of the cunts that keep writing in it. seems like there's a new offense every minute of the day anymore

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

I find if you ever want to catch up on the latest micro aggressions a good place to go is Buzzfeed. That place is full of liberal apologists and guilty white people.

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

My friends band Texas Toast Chainsaw Massacre opened for a group called Mobile Death Camp (ex Gwar members) at a dive bar on the far north side of Chicago a few weeks ago. It's a predominantly Ethiopian/Thai immigrant neighborhood with some white hipsters mixed in but still fairly far off the beaten path in the city so there was a total of 10-15 people attending this bar show, 10 of whom are friends of ttcm. TTCM opens their set with this song: https://youtu.be/GNtyJWRErEc
Like most of their music its a stupid sattire song about star wars but when the song finished some white girl that nobody knew started screaming about how misogynistic they were. A couple of the girlfriends of band members pulled her aside to explain that the music is sattire and they're all good non-mysogynistic people. She wouldn't listen and she proceeded to get on stage, knock over an amp and took the mic and started saying shit like "using the word slut is worse than the n word" "I'm going to use my connections to blacklist you from shows all across the city" and worst of all "you people know nothing of oppression, I face it every single day as a woman" (besides the singer the entire band is mexican so they know a thing or two about oppression)...then she finally got off stage and complained to the owner for a little while then after the set was over she wouldn't stop screaming at the band or their friends. Eventually she disappeared along with the bassists wallet. Another horror story of PC assholes from northern Illinois

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:

My friends band Texas Toast Chainsaw Massacre opened for a group called Mobile Death Camp (ex Gwar members) at a dive bar on the far north side of Chicago a few weeks ago. It's a predominantly Ethiopian/Thai immigrant neighborhood with some white hipsters mixed in but still fairly far off the beaten path in the city so there was a total of 10-15 people attending this bar show, 10 of whom are friends of ttcm. TTCM opens their set with this song: https://youtu.be/GNtyJWRErEc
Like most of their music its a stupid sattire song about star wars but when the song finished some white girl that nobody knew started screaming about how misogynistic they were. A couple of the girlfriends of band members pulled her aside to explain that the music is sattire and they're all good non-mysogynistic people. She wouldn't listen and she proceeded to get on stage, knock over an amp and took the mic and started saying shit like "using the word slut is worse than the n word" "I'm going to use my connections to blacklist you from shows all across the city" and worst of all "you people know nothing of oppression, I face it every single day as a woman" (besides the singer the entire band is mexican so they know a thing or two about oppression)...then she finally got off stage and complained to the owner for a little while then after the set was over she wouldn't stop screaming at the band or their friends. Eventually she disappeared along with the bassists wallet. Another horror story of PC assholes from northern Illinois

oh god where was this?  my friends just opened for the queers in elgin earlier this month and that same special little snowflake who caused shit in deklab showed up. thankfully she kept her ass in the way back because this show was way more active.

seriously, if i was there i would have booed her ass off stage and denied that pussypass hard.  this is the shit i was talking about.  wtf is wrong with these kids. and wtf is with the oppression olympics card they try to play.  so many times ive had women try to tell me my opinion/life experiences dont count because im a white male. though i do feel they are few and far in between.  im more apart of the poppunk [ramonescore] scene.  everyone is pretty level headed it seems very rarely have i come across this bullshit.  the folk punk and post hardcore scene is terrible here.  so many of those sterotypical tumblrinas and neckbeards who suck the fun out of life and wave the PC bullshit in your face.

i really enjoyed 'reality' from this past season of south park he said it best i believe.

https://youtu.be/fv2ZMN3T18E?t=29s

NOTE: if you are trying to grab one of my uploads and it isn't seeding to you its because your IP has been blocked by peerblock.

It was at Red Line Tap on Morse in Rogers Park. And I'm surprised the blue haired whale wasn't offended by a band that calls themselves The Queers.

imazombie wrote:

so many times ive had women try to tell me my opinion/life experiences dont count because im a white male. though i do feel they are few and far in between

this girl pulled that card on me after i told her she's the mysognistic one because she's assuming only woman can be called slut. because I really couldn't take her seriously by that point I chose to humor myself and do a little bulshitting and claim I was Jewish and I don't take offense to the headlining band being called Mobile Deathcamp, therefore, she's a butt hurt self victimizer for being so sensitive to the words of a fucking thrash song. That little shpeal didn't work so I gave up.

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:

It was at Red Line Tap on Morse in Rogers Park. And I'm surprised the blue haired whale wasn't offended by a band that calls themselves The Queers.

imazombie wrote:

so many times ive had women try to tell me my opinion/life experiences dont count because im a white male. though i do feel they are few and far in between

this girl pulled that card on me after i told her she's the mysognistic one because she's assuming only woman can be called slut. because I really couldn't take her seriously by that point I chose to humor myself and do a little bulshitting and claim I was Jewish and I don't take offense to the headlining band being called Mobile Deathcamp, therefore, she's a butt hurt self victimizer for being so sensitive to the words of a fucking thrash song. That little shpeal didn't work so I gave up.

whats funny is i am a survivor of sexual assault. one being by a woman that for lasted years.  so when these people spew nonsense of sensationalized bullshit ill tear into them.  it pains me that i used to act like that when i was a teenager.  check out this post on reddit from a few months ago.  https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama … _punks_be/

And you  all wonder why i avoid the internet minus this place, i'd change the world if there wasn't so many fecking idiots to contend with...but wait am i politically incorrect to call someone an idiot oh lordy lordy..(did i offend any religion just then<) what the devil..(oh fuck now the religous and satanists gon be pissed) should i do...i know i'm a stay right here and let the idio....special people come to me.

On a side note^first and last time i will be visiting reddit.

In regards to the Reddit post. If you ask me, punk is a place where we can be PC without the bullshit. I can call a gay person a faggot as a joke, a gay person can call me a cisgender fuck, etc and it's all ok because we know at the end of the day we don't give a fuck about what makes us different. We're united behind the music and counterculture and have the ability to joke about it

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:

I can call a gay person a faggot as a joke

I don't agree with this at all. Why joke about something like that? Why say something at all that may offend someone else? I hate a lot of political correctness but this one has always bugged me, and I also dont like giving words 'power' by making them bad, but for someone standing in another corner of the room who may have had years of sexual torment this may be one of the meanest things they can hear. Why joke about something like that, why cant you have your conversation without throwing out cheap insults. This isn't a personal attack on you and your mates, but it really annoys me.

I have now got internet hooked up and have gone through and started seeding some of my old torrents, If there is anything extra you want or something i am not seeding please send me a message!

Obviously if someone whose gay would prefer me to not say it I'll respect their wishes and I wouldn't say it to a any random gay person. But one of my closest friends is gay and we direct vulgar words at each other all time. I've lost count of the amount of people who've gotten super offended on his behalf and won't let it go even when he says he doesn't care. Those kinds of reactions are what I'm talking about

"I pop punk, not pills"

Norwood wrote:
chisox100 wrote:

I can call a gay person a faggot as a joke

I don't agree with this at all. Why joke about something like that? Why say something at all that may offend someone else? I hate a lot of political correctness but this one has always bugged me, and I also dont like giving words 'power' by making them bad, but for someone standing in another corner of the room who may have had years of sexual torment this may be one of the meanest things they can hear. Why joke about something like that, why cant you have your conversation without throwing out cheap insults. This isn't a personal attack on you and your mates, but it really annoys me.

im sorry but the whole idea that i should be silenced because words might hurt someones feelings is fucking stupid.  especially when its in the context of a joke.

chisox100 wrote:

Obviously if someone whose gay would prefer me to not say it I'll respect their wishes and I wouldn't say it to a any random gay person. But one of my closest friends is gay and we direct vulgar words at each other all time. I've lost count of the amount of people who've gotten super offended on his behalf and won't let it go even when he says he doesn't care. Those kinds of reactions are what I'm talking about

this this this. i make jokes and im crude as fuck around my friends.  so many other people outraged just to be outraged for the crass shit i joke about daily (race, LGBT, suicide, rape, men/women)  9/10 these have no idea of my upbringing, what ive experienced, what ive gone through, what i 'identify' as whatever.  they are quick to make generalizations about me.  ive been called so much shit in my life.  what i dont do is attack and demean people with these "words" in order to inflict emotional/psychological harm. why because well thats just being a shitty person. but i will not be slienced and censored just because someones feefees might get hurt.

Howling wrote:

On a side note^first and last time i will be visiting reddit.

good fucking choice. reddit is nothing but a giant hivemind of the far left where dissenting opinions are burried in downvotes.  they only reason why i have to stay on reddit is because i mod the riotfest board and to shitpost during blackhawk games.

You kind of contradicted yourself there by saying you don't attack or demean people, but you also don't give a fuck if something you said is perceived as an attack or demeaning and hurts someone's "feefees." 

Don't get me wrong, I understand having friends who you are comfortable with and can say anything to.  I have those friends, I say horrible and crass things to those friends and they do the same to me.  But just as people who might get offended might not take into account your life history, you're also not taking into account theirs.  I'm not saying that these people who are freaking out at shows are right, but on some level I can empathize with their sentiment, if not their actions.

I mean, seriously, this whole thread is just a bunch of whining about how you don't like people who whine and how it's ruining punk.  It's kind of hilarious.  But take that with a grain of salt from a girl who rarely goes to shows and was never interested in pits and thus just avoided putting myself in them.

Cappy wrote:

You kind of contradicted yourself there by saying you don't attack or demean people, but you also don't give a fuck if something you said is perceived as an attack or demeaning and hurts someone's "feefees." 

Don't get me wrong, I understand having friends who you are comfortable with and can say anything to.  I have those friends, I say horrible and crass things to those friends and they do the same to me.  But just as people who might get offended might not take into account your life history, you're also not taking into account theirs.  I'm not saying that these people who are freaking out at shows are right, but on some level I can empathize with their sentiment, if not their actions.

I mean, seriously, this whole thread is just a bunch of whining about how you don't like people who whine and how it's ruining punk.  It's kind of hilarious.  But take that with a grain of salt from a girl who rarely goes to shows and was never interested in pits and thus just avoided putting myself in them.

I agree with this, Cappy and what Norwood said.

The decision to not make sexually/racially/etc. charged jokes within ear shot of people who didn't ask to hear them is just common courtesy. As a social species who are forced to interact, produce, think, and talk together, one individual doesn't have a monopoly on good taste.
No one is censoring you.
The thought police are not out to get you.
The political correctness crowd at punk shows sometimes go overboard and make personal attacks when met with the slightest provocation.
They are ignorant and obnoxious.
Why the fuck would you want to act the same way but on the opposite end of the spectrum?
I tend to live in the middle, where I accept where certain words are unacceptable to use in social situations.

Just because your intent isn't to hurt, doesn't mean the use/misuse of words can't inadvertently have that effect.

Come on, man.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Am sorry but i'm firmly in the say what you will amongst friends..me and mine are absolutely ruthless with eachother, i've known most of them since i was a child and when we get together socially we rip eachother to absolute shreds nothing is off limits. That is how we have always interacted long before "political correctness" was a buzz word we learnt upon our fathers and grandfathers knees in smokey social clubs were weakness and difference amongst friends was to be exploited and used at every oppurtunity to garner a laugh and a joke, to say we have to watch what is said amongst our peer group when talking soley amongst ourselves dosen't hold much weight with me it is frankly the way we show any affection to eachother i'd happily die for anyone of my close friends but that won't stop me or them ridiculing eachother when we dare to get a new haircut or make a social faux pas along the lines of ordering a fruity cider it's banter amongst friends and should be seen as such. None of us are out to offend anyone nor are we there to make everyone feel like a special little snowflake just for existing..to my mind if you become offended by something a group you are not part of is saying then by all means tell them your gripes and if they are anything like my mates they would apoligise for you being offended and explain the meanings behind the crudeness and then go straight back to ripping into the guy who dared to come out with pink on his socks.

^

I've got to agree with the Norwood/Cappy/Addicted side of this argument. I totally get what Howling is saying, I grew up in the same environment and treat my mates exactly the same way ... But! ... That's the way we are when we're together, if we're out in public we tone that shit down, it's fuck all to do with being suppressed, it's about basic respect and consideration for people around you. I get the "if you're offended say something" angle too, but by the time someone does object they're going to be pretty pissed off, not the best scenario for a debate.
If someone's upset by something as trite as bad words and boisterous behaviour they shouldn't be out in public, but more sensitive issues can be a massive flash-point for certain people, and if it was me in that position I wouldn't stop to consider some annoying fuckers upbringing, experiences or personal identity when they've shown zero consideration for anyone else's, that's some of the lamest most self-centred shit I've ever read on this site. (incidentally, "^" isn't making a point, "^" is just a lazy ditto, imazombie, you were called out by Cappy and Addicted, Howling hasn't covered their points, if you want to start a thread with all the bitching this one contains at least fight your own corner when challenged)

But you know what, cappy's right, this whole thread is just one big whine-fest, the pc culture isn't ruining punk at all, it's just an indication of the fact that it's already ruined, because the bar is set far too low, because of the fuckers attaching themselves to the culture but cherry-picking the aspects they want, "being offensive" check, "spikey hair" check, "social conscience" erm, I'll skip that one, "getting pissed" check ....
and why is it like that? Because of all the twats who say "punk has no rules" or "punk can be whatever you want it to be" or even "Whoever wrote the punk rock rulebook should be shot in the face" (yeah, fuck you too GTA)
If Punk can be whatever you want it to be then obviously 90% of our new recruits want it to be exactly the same as the rest of the shit out there, because now it is, thanks fuckers, it's fucking disgusting that we're even having this conversation on a punk site, I remember when we had to have mutual respect for each other because no fucker had any for us, this is what happens when you allow the mainstream to re-absorb us, we're back to playing by their rules.

Thanks for that, enjoy your fuckin music.

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Guana wrote:

I've got to agree with the Norwood/Cappy/Addicted side of this argument. I totally get what Howling is saying, I grew up in the same environment and treat my mates exactly the same way ... But! ... That's the way we are when we're together, if we're out in public we tone that shit down, it's fuck all to do with being suppressed, it's about basic respect and consideration for people around you. I get the "if you're offended say something" angle too, but by the time someone does object they're going to be pretty pissed off, not the best scenario for a debate.
If someone's upset by something as trite as bad words and boisterous behaviour they shouldn't be out in public, but more sensitive issues can be a massive flash-point for certain people, and if it was me in that position I wouldn't stop to consider some annoying fuckers upbringing, experiences or personal identity when they've shown zero consideration for anyone else's, that's some of the lamest most self-centred shit I've ever read on this site. (incidentally, "^" isn't making a point, "^" is just a lazy ditto, imazombie, you were called out by Cappy and Addicted, Howling hasn't covered their points, if you want to start a thread with all the bitching this one contains at least fight your own corner when challenged)

But you know what, cappy's right, this whole thread is just one big whine-fest, the pc culture isn't ruining punk at all, it's just an indication of the fact that it's already ruined, because the bar is set far too low, because of the fuckers attaching themselves to the culture but cherry-picking the aspects they want, "being offensive" check, "spikey hair" check, "social conscience" erm, I'll skip that one, "getting pissed" check ....
and why is it like that? Because of all the twats who say "punk has no rules" or "punk can be whatever you want it to be" or even "Whoever wrote the punk rock rulebook should be shot in the face" (yeah, fuck you too GTA)
If Punk can be whatever you want it to be then obviously 90% of our new recruits want it to be exactly the same as the rest of the shit out there, because now it is, thanks fuckers, it's fucking disgusting that we're even having this conversation on a punk site, I remember when we had to have mutual respect for each other because no fucker had any for us, this is what happens when you allow the mainstream to re-absorb us, we're back to playing by their rules.

Thanks for that, enjoy your fuckin music.

I agree with everything you've said, Guana. Couldn't have said it better myself, but I'll add my two cents if yuns will have it.

I grew up in an environment that was incredibly racist, sexist, misogynistic, and extremely backward.
And above all, incredibly violent, with a heavy emphasis on problem solving shit with your fists.
My friends and i are just as violent as the rest of those cunts, and have quite the un-politically correct conversations, BUT NONE OF US INTEND TO HURT ANYONE, however insignificant that slight might be.
And that's the line we've drawn. We understand that being boisterous isn't synonymous with being a racist/homophobic/sexist twit.
Just because somebody thinks it might be okay to say things like that in public doesn't make it so.
And some of us don't take too well to bullies.
Regardless of which side of the fence they sit on.
To walk around life like the obnoxious drunk at a bar, you're bound to get your teeth knocked in.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

The irony of getting offended by people who get offended always makes me laugh.

chisox100 wrote:

Have you ever considered maybe he is a little offended, but pretends like he isn't because he doesn't want to be perceived as weak. I obviously don't know your friend, but honestly I've been in those situations... where I have felt uncomfortable for one reason or another but don't speak up because I don't want to come off as insecure. Thats hard to admit, because I am a thick skinned person, but yeah if I walk into a room with people throwing around the word faggot freely as an insult...im either walking right back out or kicking someones ass. One or the other.

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana