Re: Album Project Discussion Thread

gnat wrote:

I know there are several who haven't gotten around to it yet. Don't be skeered.

Just started,fuck it's hard work.... even more so at my age.

suppose i might have to do my next stage in lifes musical exploration tongue

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

I haven't had a chance to read through everyone's yet, but I imagine mine is going to be super weird compared to everyone else's.

This is gonna take a while.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

I thought I would plow through it pretty easy but I only got through childhood and a good bit of time had passed

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Ick McWang wrote:

I thought I would plow through it pretty easy but I only got through childhood and a good bit of time had passed

It’s kinda easy to get carried away isn’t it? I thought mine would be a decent size but it ended up over 10,000 words, and I completely skipped the last 15 years, I didn’t realise just how ingrained my musical tastes were with everything else.
I am really fucking enjoying the thread though, I knew already that there would be a common theme with people like Mel, Lizard and myself, (right down to the Pinky and Perky album) and that the posts from over the pond would follow a similar theme with US bands, but I’m loving the back stories, why people got into these bands as well as how.
Incidentally, the NOFX thing didn’t blow my mind as much as you thought, I know from the many conversations we’ve had in the past that a huge variety of bands and activities that have introduced us to punk and the different sub-genres within, but having an introductory role isn’t necessarily a bona-fide punk credential, I’ve never seen skateboarding as punk, over here all the skaters used to listen to hip-hop, I first heard CRASS because I traded my brothers Nottingham Forest FC football cards for Bloody Revolutions in the playground, but that doesn’t make Archie Gemmill a punk.
Not that I’m saying NOFX aren’t punk, if you read towards the end of my ramble to the bit where I started listening to punk again after several years off, I said I couldn’t believe how big it had got in the terms of popularity, venue size and available merchandise, I was used to the bands I liked being a lot more low-key, every now and then one or another of these bands would sell enough records to creep into the charts, get on TV and pop up on the radar of the general public, but they still slept in vans.
Reading about the bigger bands in context, from the histories of the people who did listen to them helps to understand the phenomenon greatly for me, I know I’m quite outspoken on the subject but at the end of the day my definition of punk is only my own opinion, that can be changed and quite often has, carving things in stone is what the corporations do, if we did it with punk it would be pretty shit and would have faded away decades ago, that’s my beef with letting it get to be too big.

All that crap aside though, I’ve really enjoyed all the contributions so far and hope that the regulars here who haven’t posted yet manage to do so
and I really want to see a pic of you in your Miami Vice Jacket Ick, sleeves rolled up of course wink

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Ick McWang wrote:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but both my dad and grandpa drove dirt late models when I was a kid. Every weekend for years was consumed by it!

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

Guana wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

It’s kinda easy to get carried away isn’t it? I thought mine would be a decent size but it ended up over 10,000 words, and I completely skipped the last 15 years, I didn’t realise just how ingrained my musical tastes were with everything else.
I am really fucking enjoying the thread though, I knew already that there would be a common theme with people like Mel, Lizard and myself, (right down to the Pinky and Perky album) and that the posts from over the pond would follow a similar theme with US bands, but I’m loving the back stories, why people got into these bands as well as how.
Incidentally, the NOFX thing didn’t blow my mind as much as you thought, I know from the many conversations we’ve had in the past that a huge variety of bands and activities that have introduced us to punk and the different sub-genres within, but having an introductory role isn’t necessarily a bona-fide punk credential, I’ve never seen skateboarding as punk, over here all the skaters used to listen to hip-hop, I first heard CRASS because I traded my brothers Nottingham Forest FC football cards for Bloody Revolutions in the playground, but that doesn’t make Archie Gemmill a punk.
Not that I’m saying NOFX aren’t punk, if you read towards the end of my ramble to the bit where I started listening to punk again after several years off, I said I couldn’t believe how big it had got in the terms of popularity, venue size and available merchandise, I was used to the bands I liked being a lot more low-key, every now and then one or another of these bands would sell enough records to creep into the charts, get on TV and pop up on the radar of the general public, but they still slept in vans.
Reading about the bigger bands in context, from the histories of the people who did listen to them helps to understand the phenomenon greatly for me, I know I’m quite outspoken on the subject but at the end of the day my definition of punk is only my own opinion, that can be changed and quite often has, carving things in stone is what the corporations do, if we did it with punk it would be pretty shit and would have faded away decades ago, that’s my beef with letting it get to be too big.

All that crap aside though, I’ve really enjoyed all the contributions so far and hope that the regulars here who haven’t posted yet manage to do so
and I really want to see a pic of you in your Miami Vice Jacket Ick, sleeves rolled up of course wink

I wasn't trying to say NOFX is or isnt punk, or whatever, just the instance of how a mainstream type act like NOFX got me into so much more. I know you understand that, i just wanted to clarify

People would take over a squat house with a pool and immediately drain it's water, to make a skate bowl.
Now parents send their kids out at age 8 with helmets and shinguards and whatnot, with nary a real ramp in sight, because God forbid we give the kids an actual RAMP to JUMP off of. I mean, think of the injuries and lawsuits!!!

Fuck that, we built a ramp in a backyard and they ended up crafting laws against it.

As far as that jacket, we will see...

[edit: in the newest video, they drop Caustic Cause in a lyric towards the end. Sure, it probably is thought out in advance and whatnot, but damn at least its there]

gnat wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but both my dad and grandpa drove dirt late models when I was a kid. Every weekend for years was consumed by it!

Nice, I don't recall if I had heard that before. We raced asphalt with the big cars but I love all forms of motorsport. One of my favorite things when I was a kid was watching "Thursday Night Thunder" on ESPN, and the Outlaw Winged Sprint cars. Steve Kinser was my hero back in the day.

Guana wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

agree 100% with all that, apart from the skatepunk bit tongue
in 1987 / 88 i did get more into the skatepunk scene SNFU, JFA, The Vandals etc it was mainly down to buying Maximum rock n roll and thrasher magazine.
although to me bands like Bad religion and NOFX id never heard of, until much much later, late 90s possibly lol, pop punk wise i did enjoy Green day and Offspring in their "classic" period with smash and dookie coming out.

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

lizard wrote:
gnat wrote:

I know there are several who haven't gotten around to it yet. Don't be skeered.

Just started,fuck it's hard work.... even more so at my age.

You're a fuckin' legend is what you are man. I'd love to hear more about your encounter with Crass and the time you spent following the Damned.

Ick McWang wrote:
gnat wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

Nice, I don't recall if I had heard that before. We raced asphalt with the big cars but I love all forms of motorsport. One of my favorite things when I was a kid was watching "Thursday Night Thunder" on ESPN, and the Outlaw Winged Sprint cars. Steve Kinser was my hero back in the day.

We watched the WoO stuff too. Dad ran some asphalt tracks but mostly dirt. His day job was working on heads and putting engines together so thats pretty much been his whole life.

Thanks for the contribution, vascogbh. Nice one.

Anyone else who hasn't, please feel free. Especially for newer users its a good way to tell everyone about yourself.

thanks at least i didn´t make any mistakes....

hey,thanks for sharing....