1 (edited by addicted 2016-08-02 06:45:24)

Topic: I hate school, but I hate blue collar work.

Just got offered a job as a steel fabricator out in Ohio (fuck Ohio), benefits and all.
I don't have squat in PA and, other than school, no real reason to stay.
Barely scraping by with a shitty paying dishwasher/line cook gig while going through school (quit a good paying trade to go back to school, hence the shit gig).
I'm about to transfer to a four year next year.
Still am a long ways off from graduating.
Contemplating dropping out again.
I have to finish school to do what I want to do.
But I'm tired of being broke.
I know if I bail, I'll never let myself live it down, but, at the same time I'm tired of feeling like a loser for being twenty-four and not much of anything.

What would you guys do?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Re: I hate school, but I hate blue collar work.

You could always move to Texass wink. LOL, but in all seriousness if going to school is what it takes to do what you want, then I'd stick with it. It's a sticky ass situation when students, even when working, are struggling to make ridiculous tuition and not to mention that extra shit professors claim you need for class. Personally, with all this school I've gone through and STILL 5-6 years to go officially if I want to do what I want and STILL not being able to find a job that pays what I need and offers benefits, I'm finding it all overrated but I guess it's better to have at least one degree, right? I say stick with it and go through with the transfer because that time is going to fly, I can promise you that. Is where you're transferring in PA? I know Ohio is just well, FUCK Ohio is all I have to say, BUT if they're offering you this opportunity and if the pay is right then maybe you can transfer to a school out there? If you're really lucky, then maybe this is a company that will help with some of the cost even though for the most part most places don't do that anymore like they use to back in "the day"; when my mom was in school and working, her company actually paid her tuition so long as she was working there and still in school so they pretty much paid her whole 4 years and kept her on after she graduated. But I do see where your coming from because Houston doesn't have SHIT to offer me but migraines since all the jobs I've been offered are mostly in Dallas or Austin.

If you wanna do something, then do it. If that something just so happens "requires" a degree, then get that goddamn degree. There are tons of times since I got into grad school that I've thought about dropping out but, somehow, keep going. Don't be lame and just throw in the towel. Take care of your business so you won't regret not finishing and stuck in a job that you absolutely hate. If this place is offering all this, you have to evaluate and weight the pros and cons with what this can do for you.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Is it a union job? If it is, strongly consider it. And find out about what Bettie said, there is a good chance they may pay for some or all of your schooling. Steel fabricators need engineers and shit too, and nothing better for them than someone they brought up themselves who knows exactly how the plant works to get the promotions. Even if you have no intention of staying there long term, getting someone else to pay for it and finishing out the terms to be able to leave free and clear sounds decent to me. My wife's job offers to pay for your school OR reimburse tuition, provided you sign a deal to work for them for 5 years after graduation.

Sadly, unions have very little-to-no power in the south, but I have friends that do "blue collar" work who make more than some of my college grad friends. One is a welder, he makes $25 an hour at the shop and more if he travels, another, does autobody work and paint, he makes about the same. My friend Ryan makes like $40 an hour but he does maintenance on cell phone towers, so he has to climb those fuckers all day long hundreds of feet in the air and who knows, he could make a mistake and fall and die any day. I used to work with a guy who made his entire living doing a circle of three things: he sold fireworks at one of those roadside stands during the 4th of July and New Years, he did tax prep for H&R block from January thru the tax deadline (where he works like 80 hour weeks for those few months and makes most of his years money) and delivers pizza a few nights a week year round. So for a majority of the year, he pretty much does what he wants.

I would say stay in school no matter what, but are you in school for a specific degree for a specific job you have always wanted, or are you in school because everyone says you need a degree or else you will have to work for the minimum?

My sort-of big regret isnt that I quit school to take care of my family, but that when I had to chance to go back 8 years ago part time, I didnt cause I was comfortable in my routine. It felt like it would take forever to finish. But if I had, I would have been long done by now and at least would be able to explore more options than are currently open to me.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

My opinion is that if what you want to do requires a qualification, get that qualification.

I can only advise you on my own experience, after having done jobs I strongly disliked and getting paid close to nothing for most of my life, it is an amazing feeling getting paid loads of money for doing what you enjoy.

You're only 24, I was 26 when I started studying and only finished last year at 31. I got the job a wanted around a year before graduating; it's been nearly 2 years since I last "worked" and my salary has nearly doubled from what it was at my previous job.

Hate to burst your bubble but degrees are not a make or break aspect of getting a job. I've got a bachelor's degree and im still only making $13 an hour with no hope of it rising unless I leave for a different institution.

You can always pickup school again. Good job offers are rare and you never know what connections you'll make to bigger and better things out there.

What part of Ohio? There's some shithole rustbelt towns out there but places like Cleveland and Columbus are actually pretty awesome.

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble but degrees are not a make or break aspect of getting a job. I've got a bachelor's degree and im still only making $13 an hour with no hope of it rising unless I leave for a different institution.

You can always pickup school again. Good job offers are rare and you never know what connections you'll make to bigger and better things out there.

What part of Ohio? There's some shithole rustbelt towns out there but places like Cleveland and Columbus are actually pretty awesome.

Sorry to break it to you, chisox, but you either majored in something that isn't marketable or you didn't exactly know what you wanted to do and didn't follow through with that plan.
At least, that's what I've seen from friends and family who've "succeeded" or "failed" after college/apprenticeships.
My sister wanted to work with children and took every step necessary to meet that goal (internships, the right courses, networking, etc.).
My other sister wanted to get into what essentially boils down to banking for hospitals. She's in grad school pursuing that goal.
My best friend didn't know what he wanted to do, got a worthless degree, regrets it, and now has moved onto something else.
My other best friend wanted to enlist and make it his career, he's doing that.
Other other best friend wanted to be an ironworker. Didn't follow through. Etc.
I have that set path. But it requires a doctorate, not just a b.a./b.s.... I have internships lined up for the fall, and have began talking to the right people.
I'm just sick of struggling and felt a little beat after coming home from a full day of work and a full day at school for the seventh day straight when I posted this thread. I just want some fucking time to relax, that job would have provided that in a sense.
I felt lost at that moment and wanted some objectivity to my nonsense.
POS delivered, as usual.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate. Even yours, chisox. lol

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

I know I'm late getting on this one, but you really shouldn't be judging your worth based on academic and financial success, being poor doesn't make you worthless and being unqualified doesn't make you stupid.
I've never really hidden my dislike of academics, that's because virtually all the ones I've ever met weren't worth meeting, most have a massive sense of entitlement that comes from getting what they want career-wise and thinking that that should cross over into every other aspect of their lives, similarly, people who have power and superiority in their chosen field expect to be able to use them outside of it, "success" doesn't automatically make us better people unfortunately.
There are exceptions to the rule and I'd like to imagine you'd be one of them, people from backgrounds like ours are usually a lot more grounded.

Having said that, when I was your age I had a projected retirement age of 55, I'm nearly 50 now and can't see myself retiring for another 20 years (and that's if things don't get worse) career ladders are all but a thing of the past with most management reluctant to promote someone from the shop floor who probably understands the job better than they do, so they bring in outsiders, it's virtually impossible to work your way up nowadays.
So I'd say concentrate on your education while you still can, it's hard as fuck doing both at once but you're young enough to cope, it's easier than being old, tired and staring down the barrel of a lifetime of more of the same shit that fucked you up in the first place in a "work or starve" society. Just don't devalue yourself if you don't make it for any reason or forget where you came from if you do.

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

addicted wrote:
chisox100 wrote:

Sorry to break it to you, chisox, but you either majored in something that isn't marketable or you didn't exactly know what you wanted to do and didn't follow through with that plan.
At least, that's what I've seen from friends and family who've "succeeded" or "failed" after college/apprenticeships.
My sister wanted to work with children and took every step necessary to meet that goal (internships, the right courses, networking, etc.).
My other sister wanted to get into what essentially boils down to banking for hospitals. She's in grad school pursuing that goal.
My best friend didn't know what he wanted to do, got a worthless degree, regrets it, and now has moved onto something else.
I have that set path. But it requires a doctorate, not just a b.a./b.s.... I have internships lined up for the fall, and have began talking to the right people.
I'm just sick of struggling and felt a little beat after coming home from a full day of work and a full day at school for the seventh day straight when I posted this thread. I just want some fucking time to relax, that job would have provided that in a sense.
POS delivered, as usual.

I got a history and biology degree. Admittedly its not  nearly as marketable as say physics, accounting, statistics, etc. But I was a straight C- student in math classes in high school. Number knowledge simply isnt my thing. Albeit, there's WAY less marketable majors out there. I'll probably have myself a 50-60k salary 4-5 years down the road. Im just bitter that nobody told me i'd need a degree and 5 years work experience before I could move beyond hourly wages. So i guess what im saying is academics is a much longer process than just getting the degree and instantly making money if a decent job is there i dont think academics should be prioritized. But if youve got an internship already that may be a different story

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:
addicted wrote:
chisox100 wrote:

POS delivered, as usual.

I got a history and biology degree. Admittedly its not  nearly as marketable as say physics, accounting, statistics, etc. But I was a straight C- student in math classes in high school. Number knowledge simply isnt my thing. Albeit, there's WAY less marketable majors out there. I'll probably have myself a 50-60k salary 4-5 years down the road. Im just bitter that nobody told me i'd need a degree and 5 years work experience before I could move beyond hourly wages. So i guess what im saying is academics is a much longer process than just getting the degree and instantly making money if a decent job is there i dont think academics should be prioritized. But if youve got an internship already that may be a different story

I understand completely and agree with your point.
I'll come out of school making jack shit, assuming I find a job.
The time and government money I'm putting in, financially, doesn't yield a nice return. However, it's what I legitimately want to do... So, I have to try.

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Try, dude. Do it.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

11 (edited by yb 2016-09-30 01:09:27)

Two years ago I swear you were on here bitching about being out of school and wanting to go back. Now you want to drop out.  I call these first world problems. Make up your mind and stick with it. You can always work blue collar while going to school.

most importantly stop comparing yourself to other people.

If I were in your shoes. I would go to Ohio and work the blue collar job. I  would enroll in classes on the weekend or do online courses (i know you don't want to hear that).  Yes you are right Ohio will probably suck.
Personally- I like the idea of going somewhere new.  You will be alone, so focus on yourself.

I have done it myself, it sucks. I went from homelessness to rehab for an year. (another first world problem) 

If you decide to stay: You have options.

I have friends who bar-tend, wait tables, clinical studies.

Start a small company, side jobs, manual labor, go fix old ladies computers . Go out and hustle.
Last year I did a bunch of random shit for cash and I had a pretty good year. I went overseas, went to a lot of concerts, went to a few cities in America I haven't been too. 

Take out FAFSA grants you are 24 you no longer need to claim your parents. Apply for scholarships. Apply for more and more scolarships. I Know people who make decent money doing that.

Or learn to be cool with being broke and frugal. 

but fuck what do I know. I sold out. I have a salary, benefits, work 4 days a week. I'm contemplating going on to get another silly degree.

*but I am paying for it and I am debt free now.

here is song for you

but seriously if you take one thing from what I say  do not compare yourself to others.