Topic: How do you release stress/anxiety?

Ive found myself feeling very tense and unable to relax a lot lately. Not over anything serious, I just have a tendency to stress myself out over uncertainties I cant control.

When anyone else gets into one of these mental ruts whats your normal way of chilling yourself out? Having a drink or smoking weed helps but I dont want to be doing that before/during work. And I dont have time to meditate or do extensive mindfulness type things. Suggestions?

"I pop punk, not pills"

Re: How do you release stress/anxiety?

Lorazepam. If my doctor hadn't prescribed it to me years ago I think I'd be dead by now. Although, I am a basket case and I'm not sure that's what you are looking for. I don't even have access to weed anymore but it always jacked me up anyway. I can't drink just to chill, when I start I go till I pass out, which is calming I guess as long as you can control your environment.  Lorazepam brings me up or takes me down to wherever I need to be. It doesn't get me high really, just makes me feel normal. I can do anything on it without fucking up. Work, be sociable, watch tv, read, etc.

Music is the only non-chemical thing that's ever worked for me. None of the meditation type things ever did anything. Tried counseling but I really hated that.

I hear working out helps some people?

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

I got prescribed Vistaril which also helps with my eczema and itching but it's an antihistamine as well so it's kinda pointless for me to take it up in the day which is usually when my anxiety hits. Therapy Dogs are becoming a big thing here where people get licenses to take their dogs wherever they go to but I'm not entirely sure how to get one. Animals can be very therapeutic and I'm a firm believer of this, which is why I have so damn many and can't function without a dog.

Working out does help but, at least for me, the effects don't last very long. Try doing something you really enjoy doing and you'll kinda get lost in it. I read, paint, go out with the dogs, crank up the music, or play video games which is what I mainly do. Watch a movie, tv or just go for a nice walk. You could also go to what I call "happy places" which for me is the (comic) book store; it's a place where you can go to feel at ease and calm. I love books so when I'm at the book store not nothing pisses me off, and I'm always pissed off.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

I dont want to go the prescription route because for me anxiety comes and goes. I feel like I just need better methods of reducing it when it does act up.

Working out helps a lot for me. Usually kills anxiety for several hours afterward too. But I cant workout when im in the middle of a 12 hour shift at work and thats when the anxiety bugs me the most cause my mind racing stresses.

"I pop punk, not pills"

Rubbing one out always helps, but that's generally frowned upon at work. 

I read or listen to instrumental music.  Medeski Martin and Wood's End of the World Party is one of my favorite clear my mind albums.  And although books can make your mind race occasionally, I find that if I'm dissecting what I'm reading, I'm not focusing on my own stress and anxiety.  Some general quick read don't think too hard fluff books are also good too.  But honestly, if you have time to do yoga and/or medatative/mindfulness exercises when you aren't at work, you should be able to apply those techniques to a much smaller time frame as you do them more when you actually have time time.  I know that even 5 minutes of savasana just relaxes me and calms me down for hours.

Cappy wrote:

if you have time to do yoga and/or medatative/mindfulness exercises when you aren't at work, you should be able to apply those techniques to a much smaller time frame as you do them more when you actually have time time.  I know that even 5 minutes of savasana just relaxes me and calms me down for hours.

You know thats a good idea. Ive always thought of meditating as something that works well for me but it really requires a lot of mental effort and time. Never considered that doing it more when I have the time regardless of anxiety levels could help me get better at it so I could be more efficient with it when pressed for time at work.

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:

I dont want to go the prescription route because for me anxiety comes and goes. I feel like I just need better methods of reducing it when it does act up.

Working out helps a lot for me. Usually kills anxiety for several hours afterward too. But I cant workout when im in the middle of a 12 hour shift at work and thats when the anxiety bugs me the most cause my mind racing stresses.

You can be prescribed low doses on an "as needed" basis, but honestly, it was a bad suggestion on my part because the way doctors are today its a living hell trying to get a decent script for anything. Took me forever to find one that really gets me and I've been able to build a good reputation with her.

Weren't you into Kratom? Isn't there a strain that's supposed to be good for anxiety?

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

gnat wrote:

Weren't you into Kratom? Isn't there a strain that's supposed to be good for anxiety?

Used to use that all the time for anxiety. One of the most enjoyable highs ive ever experienced comes from kratom. But I started to build up a tolerance and it got expensive. I ended up quitting it cold turkey and it sent me into an absolutely horrible depression for a couple days before my brain chemistry returned back to normal. I've used it a few times since and its enjoyable but I don't trust myself not to go overboard with it if I start using it on a regular basis again.

"I pop punk, not pills"

I don't drink anymore than one coffee a day or i'm fucked so caffiene a biggie for me also liqour i have to keep away from...but to be honest the only thing that ever dampens it down for me is sitting down and realising the ridiculousness of being anxious look at your triggers and face the fuckers head on i used to feel my mind swirling being overcome as i got that tightness in my chest letting me know it was coming and i thought i couldn't do a damn thing to stop it...the truth is you can if you can reflect..or in my case get angry enough at yourself to realise how stupid you are being(like i say that's for me i'm not judging anyone elses journey)
My anxiety took me down some dark paths and had me begging and threatening more than one profesianal to just make it stop.
But they can't they can mask it and help you to manage it but only you can stop it', it is after all your own brain trying to fuck you up.

Also rough sex helps works better than any drug or workout get some of that tension out;)

Also rough sex helps

Isn't that where you bang your elbow on the floor right in front of your computer?

"If there's one thing i've learned, It's that life's just one series of curshing defeats after another until you just wished flanders was dead" -Homer simpson

exercise, weed, music.

drinking, having a wank (relieves a couple of minutes worth anyway lol) and loud music

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

u.s.c.b. wrote:

Also rough sex helps

Isn't that where you bang your elbow on the floor right in front of your computer?

Lmao i don't own a computer never have..so i had to get a bird:(

Facking computer would have been cheaper.

at the moment i drink till i pass out but doing it 7 nights a week,aint good for you
rough sex does help but with 3 kids under 6 its hard to grab the old girl.

Howling wrote:
u.s.c.b. wrote:

Also rough sex helps

Lmao i don't own a computer never have..so i had to get a bird:(

Facking computer would have been cheaper.

not when you factor in cleanup - at least if your inclined to yikes

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

Working out with intensity, going for a hike in the mountains. angry brutal sex. Just sex in general though.

Oh and stop giving a shit. I use to get a lot of anxiety by comparing myself with friends and once I stopped I gave less of a hoot.

Keep busy, get shit done, volunteer, keep even more busy

Oh and stop giving a shit. I use to get a lot of anxiety by comparing myself with friends and once I stopped I gave less of a hoot.

Something I just can't do when it comes to careers and such.

Bettie_Rage wrote:

Something I just can't do when it comes to careers and such.

Actually thats kinda what I did. Fuck everyone else. Im not unhappy. Im paycheck to paycheck, but Im not unhappy. I have friends from high school in the military, in politics, lawyer, engineer, pilot, head mechanic. All make more money than me, a few several times over each year. One is a retired 35 year old millionaire. For years I made myself feel worthless like I was a lesser than. I now say fuck that.

It's a hard mindset to come around to, for me it took a mental health therapist to help me see that. It helps me sleep at night when I am not going to bed comparing myself with my peers

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Oh and I recommend Melatonin as a natural sleep aid if you have anxiety problems at bedtime. Or problems falling asleep in general. Walmart has it, dollar stores do too but i dont trust them to sell legit products.

Melatonin is the bomb, i work a lot of shift work and trying to switch from days to night and vice versa kicks my ass, but melatonin makes a big difference in getting to sleep

PM Me if You Need A Reseed on Anything I Downloaded or Uploaded

maverick wrote:

Melatonin is the bomb, i work a lot of shift work and trying to switch from days to night and vice versa kicks my ass, but melatonin makes a big difference in getting to sleep

That's definitely part of my recent uptick in anxiety. Im working a new job and i either work 6am-6pm to 3pm to 3am. Due to the long shifts I end up getting 3-4 day weekends where I can sleep as late as I want then have to jump into 3 days in a row at 6am followed by a day working until 3am. Lack of a solid sleep pattern and copious amounts of caffeine really doesnt help my already anxiety prone brain.

I've been doing some mediation. Just quick 30 second type stuff when I get a moment to hide in my office at work. It helps bring me down to a better level of relaxing but I still dont feel "normal" so to speak. But taking a moment to close my eyes and take some deep breaths has really helped make me a little saner. But I should still get myself some melotonin.

"I pop punk, not pills"

chisox100 wrote:
maverick wrote:

That's definitely part of my recent uptick in anxiety. Im working a new job and i either work 6am-6pm to 3pm to 3am. Due to the long shifts I end up getting 3-4 day weekends where I can sleep as late as I want then have to jump into 3 days in a row at 6am followed by a day working until 3am. Lack of a solid sleep pattern and copious amounts of caffeine really doesnt help my already anxiety prone brain.

I've been doing some mediation. Just quick 30 second type stuff when I get a moment to hide in my office at work. It helps bring me down to a better level of relaxing but I still dont feel "normal" so to speak. But taking a moment to close my eyes and take some deep breaths has really helped make me a little saner. But I should still get myself some melotonin.

You can get it at target/walmart/ drug stores, or amazon. I use the 10mg strength, for some people 2mg or 5mg is plenty.

I hold it all in and pretend like everything's normal until I explode in a drunken rage and have an emotional breakdown. You know, the healthy way.

Scally Cap Brat wrote:

I hold it all in and pretend like everything's normal until I explode in a drunken rage and have an emotional breakdown. You know, the healthy way.

Sounds familiar...

Try some melatonin - Its a once a day thing though, it can fuck up your natural sleep if you dont watch out. You arent supposed to stack it or take multiples

Now in times that I'm REALLY agitated and volatile, like today, I find that I need to take it out on someone, as in get laid...seriously.

Apparently, that's not going to happen any time soon so I'll settle for boxing.