Topic: No Man's Sky

Anyone else playing this yet besides me?

I have wanted to play it since I first heard about a couple-3 years ago, but not in a counting-the-days way, moreso in the way that when all these articles about it coming out soon came up, I went ahead and preordered it on Amazon. (prime members get release day shipping and 20% off all pre-orders...using that for Deus Ex in a couple weeks as well but that's another post)

So, I had in mind some sort of Minecraft type game with Mass Effect lore and such. Minecraft was fun for about 15 hours, then quickly became lame as can be, to me, maybe its because I am older, maybe because it just seemed pointless, like, WHY am I digging all these holes?

it's not Minecraft, at all.

Other than gathering resources to craft items a la every single RPG type game there is, it has nothing much to do with minecraft. You can harvest flora and fauna and resources, but you cant just dig holes or build a house or any of that. In that way, I was kinda bummed, like what do you mean, I can't build a house?

But the resource gathering is just a method to stay alive, and advance the "story" (scant as it is, yet always there...) IF you so choose. You could very easily spend 20 hours or more exploring every nook and cranny of the planet you spawn on, and you haven't even left that PLANET yet, yet alone that Solar System, let alone that GALAXY...  If you are one of those people who play one game for hundreds of hours, you literally could play this game for your whole natural life and still not come close to exploring it all

I've put about 15 hours or so into it at this point and....   

It is the most addictive, boring game I have ever played in my entire life, and while I won't say I've never pictured a game like this before, I damn sure haven't played a game like this before.

As I was chugging along the path to the center of the galaxy, I was wondering what the hell the combat was all about. I'd been playing for 2 days and have been saying, why the fuck do I even HAVE the ability to shoot bullets? Then I landed on a planet with "hostile" sentinels, which means they are pissed just for you BEING there, not just for fucking up the planet like the sentinels on most other planets. I run around and grab what I can resource wise, while taking out a few sentinels on my own. Then they call up some combat sentinel, which is like a robot-dog-thing that shoots you and runs you down. I took one out, then made a bee-line for my ship. Jumped in just in time, as its about your only safe spot from the sentinels. I launch, and immediately fly up into outer space. I then receive a notification that my ship is being tracked, and the next thing I know, 30 seconds after taking off from the hostile sentinels, I have 4 Pirate ships on my ass, trying to take me down. I swing around like I am gonna fight back, and within 1 pass almost get cut down by the 4 of them. I make a corkscrew dive, and back to the surface of the planet I just took off from, trying to lose 4 space pirates with way better guns and ships than I have, not to mention being outnumbered. I am not sure how, but I ended up losing them, found a waypoint to save my progress (it's the only way to save, there is no save menu or any of that traditional stuff. Not even a menu screen)

All of this, from the minute you start up, to the minute you turn the game off, not a single loading screen. From being on the ground, climbing in your ship, taking off, flying into space, engaging pulse drive, etc, not a single load screen. Amazing.

I save, turn it off, and figure its time to post about this game here since no one else has.

I can't give it a review yet, yesterday i was around 7/10, today its been more 9/10. I've gotta see more of what it has to offer - even if it at times can be a bit boring or tedious. You always have one more place to explore just a 2 minute walk away... and 4 hours go by before you even look at the clock.Its also a game where you are by yourself. No crew like in Mass Effect, no love interest, no commander over a radio. Its just lonely ass you, all by yourself doing whatever the fuck you want.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: No Man's Sky

I definitely gonna get it eventually.

PunBB bbcode test

Today I came across the Elite Sentinel. Its Straight Outta Half-Life 2, a walking mech bot thing that just shreds you. i somehow got away into a shelter. Waited for it to leave before going back to my ship.

https://sharnofthedead.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/ovalwalker-0.png

that planet I posted about before, with the hostile sentinels? It has CRAZy resources, mountains of gold, fucking gravitino balls just laying around like seeds from a tree, and when you blast a sentinel you get titanium and a neutrino chip at minimum. I already got the gold trophy for killing sentinels and i still have a ways to go

Ive been waiting to hear how others like it. Im thinking about BF1 also..

Just got an "Evaluation" copy yesterday, no time to play it yet though....

Bacon wrote:

Ive been waiting to hear how others like it. Im thinking about BF1 also..

BF1? come on man these are completely different types of games. If you think No Mans Sky is a shooter, for the most part you are looking at the wrong game. I've been playing 30+ hours so far and I am still trying to figure out what the fuck it is, but it certainly isn't a shooter, per se.

For documentations sake, I have now jumped 4 total galaxy's , 1 by 1 and then 2 at once,  and hostiles are fucking everywhere. Pirates, sentinel warships, and for fucks sake, when I go in a planet's atmosphere I start with resources galore, but it quickly turns into GTFO of here

Is this a nulifier of what I just posted? No, because when you play the game you understand hostiles everywhere doesnt mean you shoot everywhere.

zerosquad wrote:

Just got an "Evaluation" copy yesterday, no time to play it yet though....

If that equates to a pre release copy, or pre -update 1.03, then its not the full game. Don't even bother. If its 1.03 or better, ok then. But I hear PC copies right now are shite

Ick McWang wrote:

if that equates to a pre release copy, or pre -update 1.03, then its not the full game. Don't even bother. If its 1.03 or better, ok then. But I hear PC copies right now are shite

Good Old Games version 2.0.0.2, seems ok so far.....

zerosquad wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

if that equates to a pre release copy, or pre -update 1.03, then its not the full game. Don't even bother. If its 1.03 or better, ok then. But I hear PC copies right now are shite

Well you may be good, although its weird they would release a PC version without a Xbone version, being as they (windows and xbox) are both Microsoft products

What do you think of the game then, so far? I don't talk to anyone else IRL who plays this game right now. My main IRL gaming friend has a Xbone so he can't relate. All my gaming friends are too busy playing deathmatch on whatever shooter is huge right now. I got bored of that stuff years ago.

Oh, and it WILL be out on Xbox One. i guarantee it. Fuck all these gaming headlines about looking into the code to see the xbone file, ANYONE with a PS4 will immediately know it is NOT a console exclusive because...

IT DOESNT SAY SO ON THE BOX

Every PS4-only game says ONLY on Playstation in the top right corner. No Man's Sky does not. A PS4 exclusive doesn't get added to the library AFTER the fact, so it will be on the One at some point. Probably announced in the next month or two, as the holiday season is heating up and whatnot

Ick McWang wrote:
zerosquad wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

What do you think of the game then, so far? I don't talk to anyone else IRL who plays this game right now. My main IRL gaming friend has a Xbone so he can't relate. All my gaming friends are too busy playing deathmatch on whatever shooter is huge right now. I got bored of that stuff years ago.

First impressions is how massively big this game is! Taking me a while to get off the first planet, I just want to explore everything. I was a little confused at first with the interface, but I'm getting used to it. I'll let you know more when I get more time to play, I have a kid free weekend coming up here...

zerosquad wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:
zerosquad wrote:

First impressions is how massively big this game is! Taking me a while to get off the first planet, I just want to explore everything. I was a little confused at first with the interface, but I'm getting used to it. I'll let you know more when I get more time to play, I have a kid free weekend coming up here...

Cool, Ive had to take a couple days off of the game and am waiting for the weekend myself to put some time in. I kinda got bored of sputtering around like I was, so I went back on the Atlas path and got an AtlasPass blueprint and got through a lot of Atlas checkpoints. Apparently all my grinding exosuit upgrades and shooting sentinels on that hostile planet I posted about earlier ranked my character up pretty good, to where in theory I am good to go, to get to the "center" other than the time and fuel and effort. Ive read that if you just blaze to the Atlas, you have to be a certain "level" to be able to progress, which I have supposedly gotten to already.

Ick McWang wrote:
zerosquad wrote:
Ick McWang wrote:

Cool, Ive had to take a couple days off of the game and am waiting for the weekend myself to put some time in. I kinda got bored of sputtering around like I was, so I went back on the Atlas path and got an AtlasPass blueprint and got through a lot of Atlas checkpoints. Apparently all my grinding exosuit upgrades and shooting sentinels on that hostile planet I posted about earlier ranked my character up pretty good, to where in theory I am good to go, to get to the "center" other than the time and fuel and effort. Ive read that if you just blaze to the Atlas, you have to be a certain "level" to be able to progress, which I have supposedly gotten to already.

I spent a big chunk of yesterday playing, Got the 2.2.0.4 patch, I don't have any laggyness or slowdowns at all, although I'm not playing with all the graphics options maxed out (Some options are but not all) and resolution is 1920x1200, my monitors native.
I love "Play at your own pace" type games in general, so this is right up my street and I was having a blast until I auto Landed on what I thought was a cave, but the game set me down slightly into the cave. I was unable to take off again without my ship getting smashed to shit on the cave roof lol. At that point last night I decided it was bedtime!

Well I finished the Atlas Path, my prior post was correct as far as needing do be a certain level, I had achieved that. I decided to just push through and finish the Atlas Path, and now that I did (and was...kinda disappointed, but I heard I would be), I can push on to the actual center of the universe. i thought both were one and the same, but it seems they are not.

Oh, by the way, to you ZeroSquad or anyone else who plays/will play this game

IF YOU WANT TO "BEAT"/FINISH THE ATLAS PATH
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT SELL THE "ATLAS STONES"

You receive 10 stones and need all 10 to finish the atlas path. Of course, since the game doesnt tell you anything, you probably would assume you can sell them, especially when they are worth more than double the next closest thing you can sell. Luckily I did not, I just hung onto them, and I found out last night that was a damn good thing.

Im also playing the PS4 version, so I haven't ran into any big bugs or glitches or any graphical things like I have read has happened to some PC players. You getting stuck in a cave in that fashion though, I think could happen to anyone. When you get in the ship and launch, I would attempt to just hold the brakes constantly and bump your way out of there somehow. If you absolutely cannot get out, you may have to abandon ship, find a wrecked spacecraft elsewhere thru hacking the signal things with a bypass chip and searching for transmissions until you get a shipwreck signal. You can fix any wrecked ship and take it over.

And it seems 48 exosuit slots is the max. At this point the only thing I have to spend money on would be bigger ships