Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Scally Cap Brat wrote:

Regardless of her background, Jenny Woo is definitely no "fake". She's been a part of the Canadian Oi! scene for a long time out west and in Ontario. She clearly has a passion for it and wouldn't be doing it otherwise. It's not like she's making millions off of Oi!. Just because her upbringing doesn't match your view on what's working class doesn't make her a phony.

Hahaha!  If you say so!

WEST HAM til I Die!!

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Hey Mike, let's take over this place again.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

OiTheAria wrote:

Hey Mike, let's take over this place again.

you have both been pretty quiet lately?

I have now got internet hooked up and have gone through and started seeding some of my old torrents, If there is anything extra you want or something i am not seeding please send me a message!

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I've been lurking a bit. No time to post though.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Guana wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:

Good points but I have worked for everything I have.  That's my beef with her.  Nobody paid my way through university. I went straight to work out of high school.  My parents had a decent home in a normal neighborhood. Mom was a teacher and Dad was self employed.  There was never any spare money. 
One of her parents is a lawyer I believe....

....... and?
I really don't get you lot sometimes, there's nothing wrong with being working class, kudos to you if you work hard and bring up your family out of your own pocket, but I don't really get the elitism, a vast majority of the people I know are working class, a vast majority of those are complete wankers, it isn't some sort of awesome club that guarantees that they're all great blokes worthy of your respect and attention, sometimes it's quite the opposite.
If you work hard, save your money and can afford to hand things on a plate to your kids and give them chances you never had, would you withhold that money and deny them just so they grow up to be better people? would your kids be worse people if you did help them out? Are the working class more savvy, filled in and understanding because they had a bit of a struggle or can some of them grow up to be pricks?
I can understand you not liking someone who's pretending to be something they're not, I feel the same about the punk pretenders out there, but maybe Woo just happens to love a scene that she knows she's going to be automatically discriminated against in because of a detail of birth, of course she's going to pretend to be something she isn't, you lot demand it, when you set your borders so tight and your rules so rigid of course you're going to get phoneys, they're a product of your own creation.
Skinhead elitists are just as bad as the punk elitists who reckon you're not a punk unless you live in a squat, sniffin glue and own a small dog on a piece of string

btw, Hi OTA http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090719103249/runescape/images/2/22/Wave_smiley.gif

I shall repeat my myself for clarity - My dislike of her comes from the simple fact that I think she is fake.  Period.  I'm not sexist or a "total closet bonehead" or even a part bonehead.  We have enough bullshit people in the scene for me to want to support another one who turned skin overnight.

Yeah, I completely got that, I didn't accuse you of being racist, sexist or of being a bad guy, I was just questioning why you hold so much stock in a detail of birth that's as unavoidable as whatever sex, race or religion you come into the world as?
Especially when whichever part of the class system you've been pigeon-holed into is a complex, subjective system full of completely different types of individuals each learning different lessons from life.
I've been working class all my life but I'll bet it has a completely different meaning to me than it does to you, I understand quite a lot of aspects of skinhead culture that I'd never be prepared to adhere to, yet I'd be accepted in your scene over someone like Jenny Woo who actually believes in what you all hold dear and is prepared to reject her own class and join yours, she could have easily been Daddys spoilt little princess, stayed in her own little social circle and had a much easier life (financially, nothing else is guaranteed), but she chooses the working class lifestyle, most of the rest of you don't have a choice.
Now I don't follow your scene musically, I'd heard the girls name mentioned a few times in the past but I've probably learned more about Ms Woo from this thread than I already knew so I don't know how bad her transgressions are, does she over-play the working class card? does she bullshit about her background? if she's open and honest about her actual roots then I can't see why she shouldn't be accepted. if Ma and Pa's bank balance is the only factor in this then that's extremely shallow and superficial.

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

OiTheAria wrote:

Hey Mike, let's take over this place again.

Seriously, where have you guys been? I get a touch of sadness when the old school guys dont post for a long time

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Guana wrote:

Now I don't follow your scene musically, I'd heard the girls name mentioned a few times in the past but I've probably learned more about Ms Woo from this thread than I already knew so I don't know how bad her transgressions are, does she over-play the working class card? does she bullshit about her background? if she's open and honest about her actual roots then I can't see why she shouldn't be accepted. if Ma and Pa's bank balance is the only factor in this then that's extremely shallow and superficial.

Same thing goes along a lot of musical genres. Think of how many punk acts hardcore acts, want to act like poor working class or whatnot, then you find out they had a decent proper middle class or higher upbringing. When I was young I would say it does matter, but as a slightly older guy I would agree that one cannot choose what situation they are born into, only what they do with it.

Let me say, like Guana, i know jack shit about Jenny Woo other than what has been posted in this thread.

But I can also say that it sounds like Jenny Woo doesn't know what its like to go to bed hungry, to not eat any meal that wasnt provided for you by your school and if school is out, good luck. What its like to have an addict for a parent, or in my case, a single father who is disabled and on fixed income, or a stressed out, well meaning single parent who works 2 or 3 jobs and still can barely keep his or her head above water, let alone buy you an Ipod or a pair of Vans. What it means to not go out with your friends - not because you arent allowed, but because they are going shopping at the mall then out for ice cream and your parents dont have a dollar to spare, and you dont want to be that guy. What its like to be so fucking broke you can't afford a bus pass. To shoplift at a charity secondhand store (Goodwill here in the states in the common one). I have done the charity store thing. Pick out about 5 shirts, go in the dressing room, put them on in layers, etc. Not hard since there is really no security. And that is how you find the punxest shirts.

This is why I know what antisocial is saying, Woo just doesnt know what is like to be born and bred. And he would rather associate with those that are "real". Well, that's his choice, but in the long run you might miss out on some really cool people with a lot of ideas if you stick to that mindframe.

But it doesnt mean she is simply a poseur trying to cash in-- cash into what, exactly?  A lucrative life touring shitty clubs playing Oi! music? An occasional festival? C'mon.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

The funniest argument I hear against her is that she's going to "make skinhead mainstream". I wouldn't have even heard of her if it weren't for those whining. In other words, her critics are what makes her popular.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Ick McWang wrote:
Guana wrote:

Now I don't follow your scene musically, I'd heard the girls name mentioned a few times in the past but I've probably learned more about Ms Woo from this thread than I already knew so I don't know how bad her transgressions are, does she over-play the working class card? does she bullshit about her background? if she's open and honest about her actual roots then I can't see why she shouldn't be accepted. if Ma and Pa's bank balance is the only factor in this then that's extremely shallow and superficial.

Same thing goes along a lot of musical genres. Think of how many punk acts hardcore acts, want to act like poor working class or whatnot, then you find out they had a decent proper middle class or higher upbringing. When I was young I would say it does matter, but as a slightly older guy I would agree that one cannot choose what situation they are born into, only what they do with it.

The late 70's were terrible for it, you'd get all these snarling, council estate types thrashing away through angry songs then you'd find out they were fuckin loaded and they'd become pariah's overnight. But looking back, the early years of punk would have been verrry different without the middle class/art student contribution to our history, and the change wouldn't have been for the better.

OiTheAria wrote:

The funniest argument I hear against her is that she's going to "make skinhead mainstream". I wouldn't have even heard of her if it weren't for those whining. In other words, her critics are what makes her popular.

Lol, if skinhead could become mainstream, it would be by now, someone would have taken advantage.
Punk's different, because it sneaks off and fuses with other genres, there's a place for anyone claiming the thinnest of punk credentials, that's when I get so pissed off with pop-stars pretending they're smack in the heart of punk when there are plenty of places they can fit into otherwise, it strikes me that in the skinhead realms there aren't those niche areas, it's all a lot more insular with tighter borders, if someone like Jenny Woo comes along it has to be all or nothing because there are no half-way areas she can occupy. If she does settle into some skinhead/mainstream area it will be because she was pushed out and the sub-genre created from within.
I could be wrong, like I said, it isn't my scene so this is all just speculation.
But yeah, you and Mike should post more here, you do get missed in a fucked up sort of way smile

jello biafra ..... jello biafra ......... JELLO BIAFRA !!!!
Fuckin sex pistols mad

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Guana wrote:
ANTISOCIAL wrote:
Guana wrote:

....... and?
I really don't get you lot sometimes, there's nothing wrong with being working class, kudos to you if you work hard and bring up your family out of your own pocket, but I don't really get the elitism, a vast majority of the people I know are working class, a vast majority of those are complete wankers, it isn't some sort of awesome club that guarantees that they're all great blokes worthy of your respect and attention, sometimes it's quite the opposite.
If you work hard, save your money and can afford to hand things on a plate to your kids and give them chances you never had, would you withhold that money and deny them just so they grow up to be better people? would your kids be worse people if you did help them out? Are the working class more savvy, filled in and understanding because they had a bit of a struggle or can some of them grow up to be pricks?
I can understand you not liking someone who's pretending to be something they're not, I feel the same about the punk pretenders out there, but maybe Woo just happens to love a scene that she knows she's going to be automatically discriminated against in because of a detail of birth, of course she's going to pretend to be something she isn't, you lot demand it, when you set your borders so tight and your rules so rigid of course you're going to get phoneys, they're a product of your own creation.
Skinhead elitists are just as bad as the punk elitists who reckon you're not a punk unless you live in a squat, sniffin glue and own a small dog on a piece of string

btw, Hi OTA http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090719103249/runescape/images/2/22/Wave_smiley.gif

I shall repeat my myself for clarity - My dislike of her comes from the simple fact that I think she is fake.  Period.  I'm not sexist or a "total closet bonehead" or even a part bonehead.  We have enough bullshit people in the scene for me to want to support another one who turned skin overnight.

Yeah, I completely got that, I didn't accuse you of being racist, sexist or of being a bad guy, I was just questioning why you hold so much stock in a detail of birth that's as unavoidable as whatever sex, race or religion you come into the world as?
Especially when whichever part of the class system you've been pigeon-holed into is a complex, subjective system full of completely different types of individuals each learning different lessons from life.
I've been working class all my life but I'll bet it has a completely different meaning to me than it does to you, I understand quite a lot of aspects of skinhead culture that I'd never be prepared to adhere to, yet I'd be accepted in your scene over someone like Jenny Woo who actually believes in what you all hold dear and is prepared to reject her own class and join yours, she could have easily been Daddys spoilt little princess, stayed in her own little social circle and had a much easier life (financially, nothing else is guaranteed), but she chooses the working class lifestyle, most of the rest of you don't have a choice.
Now I don't follow your scene musically, I'd heard the girls name mentioned a few times in the past but I've probably learned more about Ms Woo from this thread than I already knew so I don't know how bad her transgressions are, does she over-play the working class card? does she bullshit about her background? if she's open and honest about her actual roots then I can't see why she shouldn't be accepted. if Ma and Pa's bank balance is the only factor in this then that's extremely shallow and superficial.

indeed fella, i dont go in for this elitest bullshit, people cant help what theyre born into, take joe strummer, son of a civil servent, crass.........middle class generally
to me its not who you are, or what youre born into, but what you do that matters

cant say i love jenny woos stuff, its different fo sure, its ok, i enjoy a listen occasionly, suppose its a bit like the "poets" that featured on the original OI! albums back in the day, different

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Bacon wrote:

Opinions? I could never get past their first album, thought it was complete shit. I think the name is stupid too, Ive been to Glasgow during a real "Auld Firm" match, and cant see what Lars is up to here. Mind you, I like some of Lars and the bastards, but does it get any better after their first album?

I also see Lars appearing on every release out there, taking photo ops with alot of musicians I respect.. I think "they must've gotten better, hes doing a split with them.."

so who loves them and why? Anyone else hate them like I do?

lars frederickson is about as working class as spike lee is a white supremecist

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

So the fact he's rich now completely cancels out where he came from?

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

their compilation is listened to was ok, now i know they get much shit because of lars involvment, but i don't care tbh. overproduced or not they have some pretty good songs and that's enuff for me.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Jenny woo is one of the nicest people i've met in this knuckle dragging scene, and she likes my band, which is nice.
Lars always acts like a total dickhead whenever he comes to the uk, a complete self important twat.

I dont like either of their music, although I think jenny did an ok pop/mod sounding tune once, but I can't be arsed to look for it.

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

The whole album is solid

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

The song is good. I have no idea if they are being skinhead enough or not though.


nice having OTA and Scally Cap back posting a bit regular, for sure

and llkw for that matter

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

old firms new release came out today so i hear?

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

mel_the_bell wrote:

old firms new release came out today so i hear?

Yes, according to Oi! The Boat facebook page (their label)

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

Rioux wrote:
mel_the_bell wrote:

old firms new release came out today so i hear?

Yes, according to Oi! The Boat facebook page (their label)

ah cool

just somebody on a none punk forum posted

Old Firm Casuals, waited up til 12am for their new release, still listening to 'Victory' 2 hours later...

CLASSIC!

catch my punk radio show on sundays at 2pm GMT on www.rockindevilradio.com

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I've heard the album on spotify early today, and it's fucking great

Re: Old Firm Casuals.

I dont give a damn if the girls parents have or had money. I never thought you had to be poor or
underprivileged to be a part of "THIS SCENE"
I do now  however know you need to be a little pretentious and judgemental.
If you get a chance to see or meet her take it- youll find her passion for music and love of life
a joy and make a friend for life.
I will of course be glad to listen to any Demos made by the "REAL" Skins commenting on this topic.
Obviously you can do better but are hiding your talents.
Im pretty sure the support from her record label and other Oi! bands will keep her chin up.