Re: Ratio whores

The issue is now with the current board we have is that no admin has much backdoor access to what is a very basic board therefore we can only really police the forums and change a limited number of things obviously bj is busy making the new site and calls in here only sporadically..hopefully the new board will allow both users and admin more freedom to utilise new features...that been said the smaller the amount of active users the more carefull we have to be about alienating new users who either don't pay attention or don't know the ettiqute of sharing music. We can and rightly should message every user and gauge there initial response in regards to whether they are a true leecher or just naive which is something i used to do...but fuck me i have a life. As with anything it's a toss up between properly policing the site and keeping the freedom and openess that makes POS the site that it is, was and could be again.

52 (edited by oblivionbunny 2016-06-06 21:17:48)

knowing that the current site has become fussy about tracking things like number of times downloaded, who knows if it would keep an accurate matrix for that kind of data indexing? That and all that stuff Howling points out too...

From the wreckage of humiliation
I got my self respect
I pulled myself together
What the hell did you expect

We use PunBB which is from the mid 2000's if I am not mistaken, so that explains the limited functionality. its a solid board for what it does but it is still very basic compared to new things out there. Apps, likes/dislikes, twitter/facebook/iphone/android functionality, none of that is on this old board. As Howling said only BJ has the final backdoor access but its not like I know how to code or write scripts so it makes no difference to me.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

Howling wrote:

...but fuck me i have a life.

I understand that. The admins and mods here are doing the devil's work! I didn't mean to come off as saying I'm unhappy with this site or how it's coded/run. I was only trying to give examples of the different approaches I've seen to mitigate poor ratios for people with limited bandwidth or that never seem to have peers connect to them. Then I went off on a tangent about the user base that was somewhat directed at myself. I've got a stack of records to process but never seem to have the time when I get off of work. I can only imagine how it is to mod this ship.

Ick McWang wrote:

twitter/facebook/iphone/android functionality

That sounds terrifying. The last thing I'd want social media to know about is my illicit torrenting activities!

Ick McWang wrote:

only BJ has the final backdoor access

We should just go ahead and no context that ...

hi guys...new member here....i was wondering if you had any free leech torrents that could help raise ratios....im afraid to grab tons of shit I need until I get something to upload...some key discography that we could leave open would help everyone's ratio in a free leech situation....or a possible credit system for time on active torrents regardless of anyone leeching of them

thanx

just seed back what you snatch,this site is very basic so we look at ratios manually,if i stick someone in the leeching cunts group its usually cause they don' t bother to say thanks aswell as just not seeding.
so my advice grap some stuff,keep it seeding and always post a thanks comment ,good manners works wonders with us guys in red.

i wish we could do a few free leech torrents on selected things, but this board is so ancient I dont think its possible. I think the only thing we could do is a sitewide free leech but even that Im not sure about.

"We've been divided, we've been bled,
Like a chicken without a head.
Running frantically amuck
Taking but not giving a fuck."

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z18/ickmcwang/ickmcwang.gif

I thought we had done sitewide free leech a few times before?

PM Me if You Need A Reseed on Anything I Downloaded or Uploaded

Not on this incarnation we haven't i've had a quick scooch through and can't find anything that enables it sadly.

Howling wrote:

Not on this incarnation we haven't i've had a quick scooch through and can't find anything that enables it sadly.

no I  have and bloody looked again over to you BJ

Ok after recent events I will be going through the members on line list as often as I can during the day and sticking those with bad ratios into the leeching cunts group,also if any member notices a leech then shoot admin a pm.We will never totally stop hit and runners but we may train a few of em,also if anyone in the leeching cunts group is unhappy with been stuck in there then talk to us.
Uploaders,this is only a suggestion but it's something I am leaning towards,when we post these huge discographies it attaches the hit and runners,everything in one go,yep its great but it leaves the one or two good seeders uploading like fuck,then the torrent dies and and another request goes up and one or two people again are left with the burden.
Also when everything by an artist is posted in one go the interest is gone ,got it all thats it,move on next.....
After watching my own uploads I have noticed that the bigger torrents get hit harder but less replies ,likes etc
So perhaps lets just release the stuff slowly ,see how it's seeded and then release more,also on the positive side a couple of releases is easier to seed back and allows others to fill the gaps...just a thought.

The idea of splitting down torents makes a lot of sense people come in grab a huge discog and fuck themselves from the get go. My ratio is fucked i run everything from my phone and it's the samsung note(original one) so it crashes every other week. It's easy to let it run away from you.
That been said those that either don't stop downloading or just take the piss need to be dealt with. We know it's a piss take but we search the twats out by eye so it's easy for us to miss them there is no secret program that sniffs them out just the ol long arse user list to trawl through when we have a spare bit of time.
I may have a look at making a mod group for the specific task of leech hunting if this board can do that and there is no objections from other admins? (Shoot me a pm if you want to be considered)

Eliminating the big collection torrents does help with ratios for newbies, we did that on PSX when it was a thing and it made a big difference

maverick wrote:

Eliminating the big collection torrents does help with ratios for newbies, we did that on PSX when it was a thing and it made a big difference

I am starting to learn towards this ,or perhaps setting up a downloads only section for the longer members ,cutting out the hugh collections from the newbies but that still puts pressure on  people  to seed large collections,arghhh doing my head in this one.

my next up was going to be a rather large disco in flac, but in light of recent argument im leaning now towards doing it album by album (gives me much more time to get it ripped). last thing i intend to do is hand someone excellent fuel for ratio at some other site in one easy pull. that being said, its easy fuel for ratio here if they would bother to seed it in return sad

I got my self respect
I pulled myself together

another thing we did on PSX was have a forum called the VIP section, and discography/collection torrents could still go in there, we had it set so only donors, staff and the old guard could see it, but maybe this board has a feature to only allow people with a certain ratio to see it,

I personally would never want to go down that^ route i didn't like the vip mentallity of psx but do think the splitting up of torrents is a good idea.

Howling wrote:

I personally would never want to go down that^ route i didn't like the vip mentallity of psx but do think the splitting up of torrents is a good idea.

yeah it can lead to a I am better than you outlook,so it looks like the splitting up torrents to me.

lizard wrote:
Howling wrote:

yeah it can lead to a I am better than you outlook,so it looks like the splitting up torrents to me.

Right so we as a site are all agreed?

Howling wrote:
lizard wrote:
Howling wrote:

Right so we as a site are all agreed?

The leechers keep on coming and the rest of the site go quite....... come on

Im down for splitting things up - makes it easier to catch the leech crowd  along the way. thing with splitting up discogs is you have to put it out over time, or they just que up all the single posts and get what they came for. of course, that only works with current postings, once its all here there isnt much we can do but watch

I got my self respect
I pulled myself together

i agree, it could really help, i dunno what else could be done, maybe a minimum number of posts before you can download anything, or even putting the discussion forums above the music forums so people have to at lease scroll past the discussion before raping the downloads? Just throwing ideas out, id love to see more activity on here like there used to be when i first joined

I can't contribute to the torrents anymore (or at least until I get a new cpu) but I try to be as active as I can in the forums...

"Flowers are cunts basically." - Guana

gnat wrote:

I try to be as active as I can in the forums...

That's the most important part to be honest ,creating a torrent or downloading one is just a few clicks but actually taking part in the forums requires far more ,Christ getting em to say thanks is nothing compared to actually getting people to discuss something.

Today I have banned 15 users from my client ,it's an easy action to pick holes in but it's getting tedious ,this is a community,take part in it,do a few clicks,join in or fuck off,jesus we have very few rules.