Re: Whatcha reading?

I just finished the new Joe Hill book, The Fireman.  It's good.  Almost his version of his dad's The Stand, but the similarities really end with them being about a sickness.  King's is more about mass death and the rebuilding of society in a traditional good versus evil, in a tight compact 1000+ page tome.  I'm in the process of rereading it, I'm a few hundred pages in and it's still people traveling to the damn farm in Nebraska and almost no Randall Flagg.

Anyway, The Fireman is about a sickness infecting people that can cause them to spontaneously combust called Dragonscale. My librarian aunt and I disagree about liking this book.  I found it fun, fast paced and I liked the protagonist.  She thought the characters were flat and the story boring, but I think she's stuck comparing Hill to his father.  It's slightly predictable, but I still found it to be a good story.  You won't be significantly challenged in any way, but you will be entertained, and sometimes that's all you need in a book.

About to finish Psycho by Robert Bloch (yes...THAT Psycho). It's pretty good but a bit short for me. I've been in love with this British show called Miss Fisher's Mysteries and found out that it's based on the books/character by Kerry Greenwood. I LOOOOVE the show. Just got one of her books Blood and Circuses that I'll probably start or this other one I got called Savage Magic by Lloyd Shepherd.

You'll have to let me know what you think.  I was really wary about Brian Sanderson finishing up The Wheel of Time books, but he did a good job.  But he also had copious notes from Robert Jordan because he knew he was dying and he had Jordan's wife to edit the book as well.  So it's a bit like apples and oranges, but I'll withhold judgement until I read some reviews.

It's...well. It's not horrible but it's not good and you can tell it wasn't written by Stieg. I know that he began writing another book before he died and I think this guy finished it. It felt...off, I guess? It didn't feel like a Lisbeth book and it actually felt like it didn't even belong in the series. It felt like he changed the character and not for the better because there are things that he had her doing that didn't line up with the Stieg's Lizbeth. I also don't believe he was trying to "evolve" the character. It was rushed and mediocre compared to the Millennium Trilogy and really did seem like his family was just trying to cash in on his name without considering the integrity of the series and his legacy. I sold it back to hpb a few days later because it doesn't belong in my library, let alone next to my Millennium trilogy.

"Hey evil, why don't you eat my butt?"

Just read to book 8 of the atomic sea series, anyone else had a go through them?

Bought two books today:
A comp of Joyce.
And The Average American Marriage by Chad Kultgen.

Kultgen isn't much of a technical writer, but I feel a lot of what he writes resonates with a good portion of young American men. Sometimes it's nice to sit down and read someone bitching for 150 pages.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff173/AddictedtoOi_ep/addicted.gif

"Is that a picture of your cock on the wall?" - Gnat

And your face:
on every leaf
of every branch
of every tree.

Howling wrote:

Just read to book 8 of the atomic sea series, anyone else had a go through them?

Nope, but it sounds interesting. Care to give a quick rundown?

Bettie_Rage wrote:

It's...well. It's not horrible but it's not good and you can tell it wasn't written by Stieg. I know that he began writing another book before he died and I think this guy finished it. It felt...off, I guess? It didn't feel like a Lisbeth book and it actually felt like it didn't even belong in the series. It felt like he changed the character and not for the better because there are things that he had her doing that didn't line up with the Stieg's Lizbeth. I also don't believe he was trying to "evolve" the character. It was rushed and mediocre compared to the Millennium Trilogy and really did seem like his family was just trying to cash in on his name without considering the integrity of the series and his legacy. I sold it back to hpb a few days later because it doesn't belong in my library, let alone next to my Millennium trilogy.

My wife has been slogging through the audio book and that's basically her complaint as well.  I probably won't waste my time with it anytime soon.

Bettie_Rage wrote:
Howling wrote:

Nope, but it sounds interesting. Care to give a quick rundown?

Can do the best i'm able, it's steampunk-esque but it does presume you have read similar genres before and dosen't give you much help if you haven't.
The story starts upon a whaling ship upon the atomic sea(at some point the worlds salt water became atomic changing everything we take for granted thus in itself changed the land causing humans to become ever more mutated and society true to it's nature shuns them) the main characters being a drunken middle aged balding doctor who lost his wife and child to the "octungen army"(think nazis with gods that actually walk amongst them)A whaler/thief/king of the slums who is near 7 feet tall with no nose and his band of friends the mainstay being hildra a scarred blonde girl with a pet monkey and a hook in place of a hand. The main "enemy" as it were i couldn't say much without spoilers but suffice to say it isn't ever a cut and shut baddie always shades of grey always half truths and lies and always a power struggle infact the "enemy" changes perhaps more so than anyone else but starts from so far back it's harder to tell....FUCK this is hard to condense 8 big arse books without any spoilers considering little is learned in the first book that i could use to sell the series..ok
Religion.
War.
Power always power.
Alternate realitys.
Bit of nookie.
The world ending more than once litteraly,metaphorically to learn it wasn't the world to begin with.
So yeah read it then we can talk about it as that hurt my brain so much!

HAH! It's okay, Howling, I think I get the gist of it! I think I found them on Amazon so are they by Jack Conner? The plot sounds pretty interesting.

Yeah that's the dude do you only read them paper book thingumys as i can give you those new fangled electronic books all the kids are talking about?

Unholy christmas please don't! I hate reading e-books, except some comics and manga, because I like physical copies which is probably why my room looks just awful with books everywhere. Some are pretty cheap at Amazon with some only being a penny, which is right in my price range lol. They have volumes 3-5 together for around $7 and I could probably find some at hpb here.

Just started Necromancer by William Gibson. I'm not particularly fond of sci-fi (maybe read 2 total) so don't ask me why I bought it. Shit is weird already.

Under The Kilt: The Real McKenzies Exposed by Chris Walter, just started reading it so far pretty awesome

The Armageddon Crazy - Mick Farren,probably read this 5 or 6 times but love it.

I've decided to be a super nerd this year and try to focus my reading on authors/artists from marginalized groups, women, POC, LGBTQ, etc, etc. I'm kind of off to a slow start, between school and work I don't have as much time to read. I've gotten a few trade paperbacks in thus far.

I started with Volume 1 of Gail Simone's Red Sonja, Volume 1 of Faith by Jody Houser, Volume 1 of Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick

Right now I'm in the middle of Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. It's a steampunky alternative US History where The Civil War has been going on for a really long time, people travel by Dirigible, and some dude had a drilling machine dug up underneath Seattle, releasing a gas that kills people or turns them into pseudo-zombies, so they walled off part of Seattle to keep everyone else safe. It's kind of weird and the first in a series. I hope they get more into the mentions of what's going on in the east of the country in future installments.

And although I set my SJW reading agenda, I have strayed from it. I read all of Rick Remender's Tokyo Ghost. He has a way of writing crazy stories and getting insane artists and colorists attached to his works. I also plowed through all of Dragonball Z because I'm weird and had all of it on a tablet while I lived for a week without any of my shit because it was on a moving truck.